History of the Word of Wisdom, Apr 17, 1840

-- Apr 17, 1840
"This day the Twelve blessed and drank a bottle of wine at Penworthan, made by Mother Moon forty years before." (1)

-- Apr 17, 1840. Friday.
[William Clayton Journal] This day the brethren have come from Preston. Brigham Young, P. P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Heber C. Kimball, George A. Smith, Willard Richards, Willford Woodruff, Ruben Hadlock, H[ira]m Clark and J[osep]h Fielding. We have each had a glass of wine which my brother in law made 40 year since. (2)

-- Apr 18, 1840. Saturday.
[William Clayton Journal] Went to B. Budge with Brother Stafford &c. Returned home and got dinner. Borrowed 4 of my wife to pay my Coach fare. Went to Preston and took Railway at 2 1/2. Got to Manchester 2-12 in company with brothers Clark and Smith. Saw Sister E. Ravenscroft. She gave me a new watch guard and brought a letter from E. Bromley. Sister H. Parkinson gave me 3 oranges. Margaret Jones gave me 2. Sarah and Rebecca gave me water and supper. Sarah gave me 1 pint of Porter and told me that C[atherine] Beates had told her that great trouble was coming upon her and she must keep herself single for she would scarce have an inch of ground to stand upon. I felt poorly tonight. My limbs and [head] ached very bad. (2)

-- Apr 19, 1840. Sunday.
[William Clayton Journal] My head still very bad. Sarah brought me some wine and a egg in it. Breakfast with Sarah and Rebecca. Brother Clark preached this morning. To B to dinner. Had a pint of Porter. .... I told B[etsy] Crooks that she should have her companion again. She is a loving young woman and desires to do right. I feel to love her much. Supper with Sarah and Rebecca. (2)

-- Apr 21, 1840. Tuesday.
[William Clayton Journal] Breakfast at Hardman's. Spent this A.M. with Brother Pratt in ascertaining the expense of printing a monthly paper. Dinner at Wm. Millers. Tea at old Mrs. Millers after which Brother Pratt and I went to [] fair. Went to see some wild animals. Brother Pratt went to preaching at Cookson Street. I remained at home. E. Gladstone [gave me an orange] and Sister Mary Wood a smelling bottle. Supper with Sarah and Rebecca. Alice is poorly and seems low. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
2 - George D. Smith, An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1995, http://amzn.to/william-clayton

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/