History of the Word of Wisdom, May 3, 1845

-- May 3, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 3d I took coach with Br Hardy & rode to Blackburn & called upon Elder John Hartley. We soon had an interview with Elder Wm. Speakman who went with us through the town. We visited their room which they had fitted up & sent for me to come & open it. Their seemed to be some misunderstanding between the Preston Singers & the Blackburn Saints But I trust it will be settled amicably.

I took tea with Br Hartley. Sister Hartley presented us with a good dish of Cockels. Elder Hardy returned to Preston in the evening. Distance 9 miles. I spent the day & night at Br Hartleys. (1)

-- May 11, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...Met in the Afternoon. I blessed the bread & wine & it was administered to the Saints after which the time was taking up by the Brethren & sisters in bearing testimony of the work of God, & the Power of God rested upon the Congregation untill it melted us into tear This is the Conference that Br Kimball speaks of in his Journal.... (1)

-- May 12, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12th I parted with the lovely Saints in Clith-ero took Coach rode to Blackborn. From thence to Preston whare I had the happy privilege of meeting with Elders Holmes & Hardy. I met the Saints in Preston & Preached to a full house. Was followed by Elders Holmes. I spoke from the CII Psalm. We had a good time. I spent the night with Elders Holmes & Hardy at Capt Willes. I had a severe Cold & pain in the head during the night. Distance 25.

This being the Whitson week all business was suspended & the people in the streets having a Holly day & at night their was so many drunk in the street & on the side walk that it was with difficulty for a sober man to go along without being run against. (1)

-- May 29, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 29th I reeleyed 4 letters one from Holmes Clark Davis & Charles Miller. I wrote 2 letters one to Holmes one to Davis.

In the evening I went to the seashore with Elder Stratton to Baptize. On the way we saw a man run over a child with a waggon. Their was 500 people gatherd around it in as many minutes. They thought the child was killed but it soon revived. The man was taken up by the policee, & fined for being drunk & carelessness.

When we arived the water the tide was out. We got three cars to take the candidates down into the water and Elder Stratten went down into the sea and baptized 12 persons. We had a plesant and interesting time. Many of the Saints were present & numbers of the world & the whole company left the beach singing by the way. I took supper with Br Hall. Distance 6 m. (1)

-- May 30, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...After returning to the city I took tea at Br Caines & attended council with the officers of the Liverpool Branch & had a good time. Distance 10 m. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/