History of the Word of Wisdom, Sep 26, 1844

-- Sep 26, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 26th Arived in Schenactady in the evening. Took cars and boat for Albany via of Troy. Lost my carpet bag in the scrape. Upon on my arival at Albany it seemed as though I should be torn in peaces by the carman and Irish runners all pulling and haulling. I spent the night at Holmes Temperance House near the rail road landing. Carroans fee 50 cts. Distance from Oswego to Albany 200 miles. (1)

-- Sep 31, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... I rode to Cole-brook viewed the old mills & house whare father lived, took tea with Johathan Stillman & Called upon Mrs Caroline Wolcott. (1)

-- Nov 14, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] (Nov 14th Thursday + When the destroyer reigns darkness prevails.) At about daylight I was Called upon to go to Sister Foss's for Sarah Elizabeth was dying. Mrs Woodruff and myself went up as soon as could, & when we arived at the house we found Sarah Elizabeth apparently dying and appeared as though she would not live 10 minutes. Sister Foss & Ira Foss her older son was vary sick. The family was taking medicine after the Thompsonian system viz roots & herbs. Three doctors were attending upon the family. It was difficult to tell what the fever was that they had. It was first called the Typhus fever, but it proved to be vary malignant if not a putrid fever. The doctors nurses, & watchers, were nearly all more or less affected with it that were in the midst of it. The tongue would turn black & in a low stage would swell. It seemed to be a difficult matter to break up the fever after it once seated.... (1)

-- Nov 24, 1844
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 24th Sunday I met with the Saints in New Bedford. Herd Elder Blake in the forenoon. I preached in the afternoon & evening to a full house. I took tea with Br Dexter watch maker. He fixed my watch. I confirmed 3 persons in the evening who were baptized during the day. (1)

-- Jan 12, 1845
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...I took tea with Elder James Marsden. Again met with the Saints in the evening & had a full house. A number of strangers. I addressed them upon the first principles of the gospel. I had the spirit of the Lord and a good time. I administered to 2 sick. Blessed 2 children. Returned home & spent the night. 3 m. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/