Rebaptism, Feb 12, 1862

-- Feb 12, 1862
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I spent the day in the office on the Buy laws of the Jourdan Irrigation Company & Journalizing. A Lecture of W. Woodruff in the Seventies Hall upon History and Journalizing. On the evening of Feb 12 I met at the 70 Hall at 7 oclok to deliver a lecture according to appointment. The Hall was Crouded to overflowing and Hundreds Had to leave who Could not get into the House. The following is a synopsis of my lecture: ....

The Prophet Joseph always recommended the priesthood to keep a record of all their Official acts. And among his last letters to the Church before he was slain he urges upon the Church to be particular in there records of the Baptisms for the dead to be vary particular in there records of there official acts, that what they bound on Earth should be bound in heaven and what they loosed on Earth should be loosed in heaven. And what you record on Earth shall be recorded in Heaven.... (1)


-- Apr 12, 1862
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I spent the fore part of the day in the Endowment House. We gave Endowments to about 30. I sealed 15 Couple. At 1 oclok I went to the seventies Hall and attended the trial of Zera Pulsipher, who had been sealing women to men without Authority. He was required to be rebaptized & had the privilege of Being ordained into the High Priest Quorum. I attended a feast at Brother & Sister Blackhurst with the Quorum of the Twelve & there wives. (1)


-- Jun 4, 1864
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 4 I spent the most of the day in the Endowment House. We gave Endowments to 39 persons. HCK Sealed 10 Couple. W. Woodruff sealed 20 Couple. There was present B. Young H. C. Kimball J Taylor W. Woodruff GA. Smith F. D. Richards Joseph Young D Calder G. D. Watt J. D. T. Mcallister, Wm. Folsom S Sprague J V. Long & L Farr Also Eliza R Snow Elizabeth Ann Whitney & Sarah M Hyde.

At the Close of the sealings all the above Named persons repaired to the Font & we there dedicated the Baptismal Font unto god for Baptisms for the remission of sins for the Healing of the sick & for Baptism for the dead. President Brigham Young was mouth & he named in his Prayer every thing from the foundation to the Top, and He said that He felt that the Lord Accepted the Dedication.

I visited G D. Watt's garden in the Evening & saw some vary fine Strawburies in Beds. I think the Excellenta were the best. (1)


-- 1864. September 24
(Annie Clark Tanner) : Born in Farmington, Utah. Baptized in 1873, Annie Clark was rebaptized a year later during a reformation movement. She remembered, "We raised our right hand and promised not to trade with outsiders. Also, as children, we promised never to touch tea, coffee, or tobacco. To take the Lord's name in vain was a great offense. The punishment for disregard of high moral standards among young people was severe indeed. The young people who transgressed were required to make an acknowledgement of their sin in a public meeting and ask the forgiveness of the Saints." (2)


-- Aug 19, 1865
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19 I spent the day in the Endowment House. We gave Endowments to 25. G. Q. Cannon sealed 11, W. Woodruff 4 Couple. I Baptized Sister Sprague in the New Font for & in Behalf of his first Eliza Caroline Everett Sprague. This was the first Baptism in the Font. We had a thunder Storm in the Evening. Brother G. A. Smith Returned from his Southern Mission ou[t.?] [-]. (1)


-- May 19, 1866
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19 I spent the day in the Endowment House. We gave Endowments [to] 36 persons. HCK. sealed 4 Couple & WW 31 couple. One was Baptized for the dead. Brother Kimball Confirmed her. I laid on hands with him. I also confirmed sister Sprage who had been baptized for the dead. (1)


-- Jun 14, 1867
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 14 I met at 8 oclok & Anointed {Issac Laney}, A man Noted in the History of the Massacree at Hawns Mill who was shot to Peaces on that occasion & still lived he had 27 Ball Holes in his Shirt. One ball Entered one arm pit & Came out at the other. 2 Balls went through his breast 2 through his body above the hips one through his arm & none of them stoped his runing. Neither did they kill him. He was preserved by the power of God.

At 4 oclok I met at the Endowment House & George Q Cannon Baptized My Son Wilford for the remission of his Sins & myself for & in Behalf of My Father Aphek Woodruff & my wife Phebe Whitmore Carter Woodruff for my Step Mother Azubah Hart Woodruff & for my half sister Eunice Woodruff. G Q Cannon Confirmed Wilford and President Brigham Young Confirmed me for my father & my wife Phebe for my step Mother & Sister. I then went to top of the Tabernacle with Mrs Woodruff & my daughter Phebe whare we had a view of the Country. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Van Wagoner, Richard and Walker, Steven C., A Book of Mormons, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: Unconventional Baptisms

Mormon History Timeline: Forms of Rebaptism in LDS History
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/