Rebaptism, Jun 30, 1875

-- Jun 30, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 30 I spent the day in the Endowment House. We baptized 356. W Woodruff sealed 128 Couple for the dead the most sealing I Ever done in one day in my life. (1)


-- Jul 11, 1875
[Sermon] Orson Pratt: Immediate Revelation - Spiritual Gifts Necessary in the Christian Church - Apostasy - The Restoration of the Gospel - All Things to Be Gathered in One - Divine Authority - Marriage - Celestial Marriage - Baptism for the Dead, JD 18:41 - 57 (2)


-- Jul 13, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...I met with the Presidency Twelve & Priesthood in General at the old Tabernacle. It was full. Speeches were made by John Taylor, D H Wells G. Q. Cannon & Presidet Young. Nearly the whole Assembly Covenanted to Renew their Covenants & be rebaptized. (1)


-- Jul 17, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] July 17 1875 I met at the Endowment House at 2 oclok [with] the Presidency & Twelve. President Young & G A Smith went into the font and G. A. Smith Baptized President Brigham Young for the renewal of his Covenant and as an Example to others. G. A. Smith & Daniel H. Wells Confirmed him. President Young then Baptized G A Smith & Daniel H Wells & Confirmed them. President Young then Baptized Wilford Woodruff, Orson Pratt, & Albert Carrington and Confirmed them. Seven of the Twelve were Baptized by D H. Wells at Sanpete County several weeks ago. They were Confirmed by President Young.

I wrote a letter to Brother Harris of Provo. (1)


-- Jul 18, 1875
Apostle Orson Pratt preaches in Salt Lake City that rebaptism "seems to be a kind of standing ordinance for all Later-day Saints who emigrate here, from First Presidency down; all are rebaptized and set out anew by renewing their covenants. After his counselor Daniel H. Wells euloguzes Emmeline Free Young, Brigham Young stuns those at funeral by instructing her children and grand children not to follow his plural wife's "bad example." In her manuscript "My Father's Wives," Susa Young Gates explains that "Aunt Emmeline became addicted to morphine in the later years of her life." (3)


-- Aug 3, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] Aug 3d 1875 Mrs Woodruff is better to day. Bulah is vary low and suffers Much. I went to the farm & Cut some barley. I spent the Evening with Bulah. Mrs Woodruff anointed her and I Blessed her <and the Lord revealed to me the [iniquity?]> of <the hearts of both man and woman.>

/4 I spent the day in the Endowment House. We Baptized 350. WW sealed 37. D H Wells 17./ (1)


-- Sep 4, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 4 This day for the first time that I have had an oportunity to attend to the Baptism of the Woodruff family Except in few instances. I went to the Endowment House & had my two daughters Phebe Amelia Woodruff Snow & Bulah Agusta Woodruff Beatie [ ] go to the Endowment House & was Baptized for the female portion of the Woodruff family. Phebe was baptized for 89, and Bulah for 52 Total 141 for the Woodruff family. I Confirmed them all. (1)


-- Sep 8, 1875
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... Went to the Endowment House & We baptized 282. W Woodruff sealed 68 Couple. We had a hard rain in the Afternoon. I wrote one letter to Sarah & David. I sealed 2 dead persons to <President Young>. (1)


-- Jun 14, 1876
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 14 I spent the day at the Endowment House. We Baptized 634 for the dead. W Woodruff sealed 144 Couple for the dead the greatest Number I Ever sealed in one day in my life. Joseph F Smith sealed 28 Couple. Total 172 Couple. It made me nearly Sick. (1)


-- Jun 20, 1876
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] June 20, 1876 Glory Hallalulah for this days for in spite of the Devil through the Blessing of God I have had the privilege this day of going into the Endowment House and with my family have been Baptized for (949) Eight Hundred and Seventy Two of my dead Relatives & friends as Follows: My oldest Brother Azmon Woodruff was Baptized for 120 of the Woodruff Family. I Wilford Woodruff was Baptized for 134 of the Woodruff Family. Bulah Augusta Woodruff Beatie was Baptized for 29 Dead Friends to be <sealed to Wilford Woodruff>. Wilford Woodruff Jr. was Baptized for 187. Brigham Y. Woodruff was Baptized for 153, & David P Woodruff was Baptized for 305 persons the most any one person was Ever Baptized for in one day in this Church & kingdom. Sister Sarah B Foss was Baptized for 21 persons. Total Baptized for & Confirmed for the dead this 20 day of June (949) Nine Hundred & Forty Nine.

I Felt to rejoice that after Forty three years labor in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that I had the privilege of going into a Baptismal font with my Eldest Brother Azmon Woodruff and my Children to redeem our dead. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Journal of Discourses, http://jod.mrm.org
3 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com

LDS History Chronology: Unconventional Baptisms

Mormon History Timeline: Forms of Rebaptism in LDS History
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/