Lorenzo Snow, Oct 23, 1887

-- Oct 23, 1887
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] [Quorum business] then John W. Young gave an account of his labors on the state movement in New York and Washington. At our meeting of our quorum this morning I made a verbal report (recommending church houses Gardo, Cannon etc nothing be done about them now) (then he goes back to the above subject) .... John W. Taylor expressed it as his opinion that it would be much better if all of our business in relation to a State was transacted through the Council of Fifty.... I then expressed my feelings to the effect that if some one could be sent east to labor with John W. that the public had perfect confidence in as to the expenditure of money, that it would be a good thing. John W. then expressed himself as entertaining the same opinion regarding me as I did towards him ... I demanded an explanation then and then and said I would not vote for any means to pass through John W.'s hands until he had substantiate his insinuations that I was not strictly honest. I defied him to place his hands on one single financial transaction in my life where I had not been honest. Lorenzo Snow felt the result of our labors was in the hands of the Almighty and that it would be glourious whether we became a state not.. John W. Young felt that Geo[rge] Q. Cannon should go east as he was a tower of strength in Washington and that he was the one man that could do more for us than any one else in the Church. He denied having any intention of carrying the idea that I was not honest in my financial dealings. His opinion of me then is not the same as mine of him as I do not think he is strictly honest in his financial dealings. (1)


-- Oct 26, 1887
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] [Council meeting] The matter of John T. Caine going to Washington with the State Constitution was discussed at length but no decision was reached, John W. Young did not want the Constitution presented to the President of the United States until he has been seen and we had learned in what manner he (the President) desires to come to him, whether public or private.... John W. Taylor made a motion that all money spent in this move be under the direction of the committee after some talk the motion was put and carried, Lorenzo Snow could not see why there should be any objection in the mind of brother John W. To going back east and laboring Could not see from remarks made yesterday and today why he could have any objection to returning. None in this quorum feels to find any fault with you and you have heard expressions of confidence. It was with difficulty that I kept from saying that I had confidence whatever in John W. Young and that I felt we would have better chances for success if he did not go east but I am getting tired of being looked upon as a fault finder and one lacking in charity and always looking for the bad and not the good qualities of my brethren. I have no confidence in John W. Young and feel in my heart that a great responsibility rests upon our quorum for sustaining him as he is continually bringing discredit upon us and our cause by not being strictly honest in his financial dealings with men of the world that he has made his and our people's friends by his pleasing address and winning ways. ... (1)

Endnotes:
1 - Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.