LDS Dreams History, 1818

LDS History Chronology: Dreams

-- 1818
[Visions] Judgment day, pray for forgiveness in Jesus' name
6th vision of Joseph Smith Sen. ...
I thought I was walking {very fast} alone and although I was very much {I still} fatigued I went on as fast as I convenineently could
and I seemed to be on my way to meeting <and it was the day of judgement and I was going to be judged but {I thou}> when I came in sight of the meeting house I saw crowds of people coming from every direction
They are "pressing with great anxiety towards the door" of the house. Joseph decides there is time and slows his pace. But when he gets there, the door is shut. He knocks on the door and is told he has arrived too late.
I soon felt that I was perishing and began to pray but {I} my flesh continued to wither on my bones and I grew still more anxious and prayed still more fervently
and I was about to despair ... when the angel that attended {th} me asked {hi}me if I had not [le]ft some thing undone
Joseph replies that he has done everything he knew about and the guide responds, "Justice must have its demands and then mercy ..."
Suddenly Joseph remembers to ask God in the name of Jesus, and he cries out:
Oh lord I beseech thee in the name of Jesus christ to forgive my sins
He is strengthened and his flesh begins to be restored. The angel tells him he "must plead the merits of jesus for he is a [ad]vocate with the father and a mediator between God and man."
The door opens and as he enters, Joseph awakes. (1)

-- During Summer 1811
[Visions] Desolate field, broad and narrow ways, delicious white fruit, spacious building


Traveling in an open, desolate field, it occurs to Joseph that he should stop and consider what he was doing before continuing. His guide tells him this is "the desolate world; but travel on."

The road was so broad and barren that I wondered why I should travel in it; for, said I to myself, "Broad is the road, and wide is the gate that leads to death, and many there be that walk therein; but narrow is the way, and straight is the gate that leads to everlasting life, and few there be that go in thereat."

Soon he comes to a narrow path, which he takes. He sees a beautiful stream running from east to west as far as he could see in both directions. A rope runs along the bank as high as a man can reach.
Beyond is a pleasant valley with a beautiful tree in it. Its fruit is shaped like a chestnut bur. As he watches, the burs open, dropping dazzling white fruit. Joseph eats the fruit, which is "delicious beyond description."
Then he remembers his family and brings thema wife and seven childrento the tree. They all eat and praise God for the blessing.
We were exceedingly happy, insomuch that our joy could not easily be expressed.

Then Joseph notices "a spacious building" on the opposite side of the valley, "and it appeared to reach to the very heavens." It is full of doors and windows, "filled with people, who were very finely dressed. When these people observed us in the low valley, under the tree, they pointed the finger of scorn at us and treated us with all manner of disrespect and contempt."
Turning from them, Joseph asks the guide what the delicious fruit means.
He told me it was the pure love of God, shed abroad in the hearts of all those who love him, and keep his commandments.
He then commanded me to go and bring the rest of my children. I told him that we were all there.
"No," he replied, "look yonder, you have two more, and you must bring them also."
In the distance he sees two small children. He brings them to the tree, where they also eat the fruit.
The more we eat, the more we seemed to desire, until we even got down upon our knees, and scooped it, eating it by double handfulls.
When Joseph asks what the spacious building means, he is told:
"It is Babylon, it is Babylon, and it must fall. The people in the doors and windows are the inhabitants thereof, who scorn and despise the Saints of god, because of their humility."
I soon awoke, clapping my hands together for joy. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Kenny, Scott, Saints Without Halos, "Joseph Smith Sr. Visions," http://saintswithouthalos.com/n/visions_js_sr.phtml#sr2
2 - Kenny, Scott, Saints Without Halos, "Joseph Smith Sr. Visions," http://saintswithouthalos.com/n/visions_js_sr.phtml#sr2

Mormon Timeline: Dreams
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/