History of the Word of Wisdom, Apr 20, 1897

-- Apr 20, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] .... At 3.30 pm. my daughter Alice took some medicine that Dr Shipp prescribed for her, without water and it burned her mouth and throat being a strong acid. Gave her some strong coffee and she felt better but her mouth & throat pained her for some time. Asahel & wife & miss Winter called and the evening was spent in conversation, singing &c. I slept some during the afternoon and evening. (1)

-- Apr 25, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] April 25th I slept 5 3/4 hours from midnight to 7.15 am. I ate some fried chicken and bread for breakfast, & a cup of coffee. Don Carlos Young called. I walked out for a short time and slept some during the day. Bro James Sharp called in the evening & spent an hour in conversation, after which I slept for over 2 hours then sat up and talked with Bro Nuttall till after 11 oclock. (1)

-- May 1, 1897
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] I dictated a number of letters today among them being one to Lyman J Gage, Sec[re]t[ar]y of the Treasury at Washington, recommending George C Parkinson, of Preston Idaho, as collector of internal revenues for the district of Utah, Idaho and Montana Had a long chat with Bro[ther] (JF) Smith, regarding the manner in which Saltaire was conducted, and the renting of the Brigham Young Trust Co. building on Commercial street, for immoral purposes. I expressed my opinion in plain English, regarding the Sunday liquor selling at Saltair and the use of the BY T co. building for any such purpose. Bro[ther] Smith acquiesced in all that I sack and eventually, liquor selling will be a thing of the past at Saltair. (2)

-- May 28, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] May 28th Slept at intervals after midnight somewhat restless. After taking a cup of coffee slept till 8.15 when I dressed & had breakfast. At 9.30 a.m Emma & 2 of the grand children accompanied me to Big Cottonwood to Eugeyns where afterwards I laid down & slept well. After dinner the boys were playing quoits. I played one game. We had a nice visit and returned at 8.45 pm. I soon went to bed but was so tired I could not sleep soundly. (1)

-- Jun 9, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] June 9th I was quite restless all night. Felt chilly. Took a little Brandy sling and a cup of coffee, and slept some before daylight and until 9 am. when I ate breakfast, after which I rested and slept at intervals until 3 pm. when I walked out and saw the men driving for a well. Ate my supper with the family at 7 pm. Bro & Sister Naegley & Bro & Sister Siebert & Wm. McEwan called and spent the evening. Had refreshments at 10 pm. I did not go to bed until 11.30 pm. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/