Lorenzo Snow, Saturday, Apr 9, 1898

-- Saturday, Apr 9, 1898
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

Prest. Lorenzo Snow spoke [on] Temple work and the aiding the Labor with their means. ... (1)


-- Apr 26, 1898
[Apostle Brigham Young Jr. Diary] In company with my brother Willard & nephew Richard W. met Pres[ident] Woodruff & Geo[rge] Q. C. I was condemned without question Pres[ident] W. said I have talked with no one not read anything but the Herald this morning and I say when men leading men in our church undertake to defy the Gov[ernmen]t they should be careful to seek the council of the presidency & twelve I said President, who has defied the Gov[ernmen]t you should not judge me the words and what is written by the Herald an enemy The Pres[ident] decided for Willard & Richard to go on receiving volunteers. I said I have tried to make head against the spirit which is going through the people especially among our young men to rush into the army exhibiting a desire to engage in war; that spirit is not of God and I condemned it perhaps my language was rough and certainly subject to missinstruction but I am content for you to get your information from such men as Angus M. Cannon & C. H. Penrose who heard all I have said one disloyal sentence I will make such reparation as you may choose to recommend. The feeling among the gentiles and some of the Mormons is strong against me. God help me to be humble & take reproof in proper spirit. I will be one with the president God being my helper. [marks were passed upon me for my speech on Sunday. I can't help it now and trust as president Snow remarked it will do more good than harm. I am quite sure it will cause the presidency of the church to take a prompt stand on this question which the saints are longing for. (2)

Endnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
2 - Diary of Apostle Brigham Young Jr., http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.