Lorenzo Snow, Feb 5, 1900; Monday

-- Feb 5, 1900; Monday
This morning Governor Heber M. Wells of Utah accompanied by Governor [DeForest] Richards, Secretary [Fenimore] Chatterton and Judge [Jesse] Knight all of Wyoming, called on the Presidency and had a talk in relation to the colonization of the Bighorn country which is now being settled by our people. The gentlemen from Wyoming spoke very highly of the "Mormon" colonists in their State.

Elder B. H. Roberts also called and had a talk with President [Loernzo] Snow regarding his political troubles and President Snow advised him to settle down to his ecclesiastical duties and cease fighting the inevitable; he had done all in his power and had made a courageous and proper fight in his endeavor to retain his seat in the National House of Representatives, and had accomplished all he, President Snow, thought was possible for him to accomplish, and the President believed that great good would come out of it. (1)


-- Feb 6, 1999
Testimony on life of David W. Patten-- Salt Lake City.

We have not been able to determine what circumstances may have prompted President Snow to issue this Circular "To the Reader" containing his tribute to David W. Patten, one of the early Apostles of the L.D.S. Church. For a further account of early spiritual experiences, perhaps those referred to in this circular see CHC 6:383-384.

Salt Lake City, Utah, February 6, 1900.

To the Reader:

All the circumstances of my first and last meeting with Apostle David W. Patten are as clear to my mind as if it were an occurrence of but yesterday, and yet it took place some sixty-four years ago. He appeared to me then to be a remarkable man, and that impression has remained with me ever since.

We traveled together on horseback from my father's home, at Mantua, Ohio, to Kirtland, a distance of perhaps twenty-five miles, he on his return from some missionary labor, I to commence a course of studies at Oberlin College.

On the way our conversation fell upon religion and philosophy, and being young and having enjoyed some scholastic advantages, I was at first disposed to treat his opinions lightly, especially so as they were not always clothed in grammatical language; but as he proceeded in his earnest and humble way to open up before my mind the plan of salvation, I seemed unable to resist the knowledge that he was a man of God and that his testimony was true. I felt pricked in my heart.

This he evidently perceived, for almost the last thing he said to me, after hearing his testimony, was that I should go to the Lord before retiring at night and ask him for myself. This I did with the result that from the day I met this great Apostle, all my aspirations have been enlarged and heightened immeasurably. This was the turning point in my life.

What impressed me most was his absolute sincerity, his earnestness and his spiritual power; and I believe I cannot do better in this connection than to commend a careful study of his life to the honest in heart everywhere.

LORENZO SNOW. {1900-February 6-Circular letter, Church Historian's Library,} (2)

Endnotes:
1 - First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve minutes
2 - Clark, James R., Messages of the First Presidency (6 volumes)

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.