Lorenzo Snow, Jun 18, 1884

-- Jun 18, 1884
[John Nicholson to Lorenzo Snow, June 18, 1884] ... Applications are, as you are aware, being constantly made for the privilege of having women sealed to their husbands who have heretofore been sealed to other men who were not their husbands. Similar applications are being made in the cases of sealing children to parents who have heretofore been sealed to men who were not their natural fathers. I have been unofficially informed that when such cases are pla[i]n, and when the applications are in harmony with the teachings given at the last April Conference, the rule in the Temple should be to proceed without application to President [Wilford] Woodruff. If this be the decision of the First Presidency, I would be obliged if I could be so informed officially by the placing of a plain "yes" or "no" upon this sheet. [Written in pencil:] yes, W[ilford] Woodruff (1)


-- Aug 26, 1884
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 26 I set apart 2 women as Midwives and assisted Joseph F Smith in setting apart 2 others & we set apart Leslie Woodruff Snow [daughter of Lorenzo Snow] to go to Philadelphia to study Surgery & Medicine. Br Smith was Mouth. I Paid my City taxes to day $69.25. I wrote to Asahel. (2)


-- During 1884
In 1884 Lorenzo's sister Eliza R. Snow remembers hearing Lorenzo's thoughts ("as Man is, God once was; as God is, Man may become") in 1840. She and Lorenzo were recalling events that occurred several decades earlier. (3)


Publication of Lorenzo Snow recollection of an an 1840 experience is published:

The Spirit of the Lord rested mightily upon me the eyes of my understanding were opened, and I saw as clear as the sun at noonday, with wonder and astonishment, the pathway of God and man. I formed the following couplet which expresses the revelation, as it was shown me "As man now is, God once was:As God now is, man may be. I felt this to be a sacred communication, which I related to no one except my sister Eliza, until I reached England, when in a confidential private conversation with President Brigham Young, in Manchester, I related to him this extraordinary manifestation. (3)

Endnotes:
1 - Anderson, Devery; The Development of LDS Temple Worship, 1846-2000: A Documentary History, http://amzn.to/TempleWorship
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
3 - "Origin of famous Mormon couplet," Clair Barrus, examiner.com

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.