Lorenzo Snow, Nov 11, 1899; Saturday

-- Nov 11, 1899; Saturday
President Lorenzo Snow was at the office. The only business done was the appropriation of certain amounts in favor of the Brigham Young Academy, to wit: $600 for the Beaver [Utah] branch of that institution, and $4,750 for the Academy proper, making in all $16,600 for this institution for the current school year. (1)

-- Monday, Nov 13, 1899
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

My wife Sarah and I attended a reception given to Mrs. J. Ellen Foster of Washington, D.C. at the Residence of J. W. McCune. Lorenzo Snow, Judges Bartch, Miner, and Baskin, Arthur Brown, and many other gentlemen and Ladies were present. (2)

-- Nov 13, 1899; Monday
President Lorenzo Snow was at the office, where he met at 10 A.M. Bishop John R. Winder, Robert S. Campbell and Franklin S. Richards, who came to confer with him in relation to the arid land plains adjacent to the Cedar City [Utah] coal property, which land has been entered by several individuals who promised to deed it to the Church when title was acquired. Nothing was done about the matter, the President taking it under advisement. (1)

-- Nov 16, 1899; Thursday
Presidents Lorenzo Snow and George Q. Cannon were at the office. The latter came accompanied by his son Preston Cannon, who crossed over from Germany to New York, in order to undergo a surgical operation.

Salt Lake Temple 11 A.M. Present: Lorenzo Snow, George Q. Cannon, Brigham Young [Jr.], Francis M. Lyman, John Henry Smith, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor, Marriner W[ood]. Merrill, and Anthon H. Lund.

Absent: Joseph F. Smith and Rudger Clawson, in Canada; Franklin B. Richards, sick at home in Ogden [Utah]; George Teasdale, attending the funeral, in Manti [Utah], of Elder Alder, who died while on a mission to Germany. Also Matthias F. Cowley and Abraham O[wen]. Woodruff.

President Snow explained to President Cannon the mind of the Council in relation to resuming the prayer circle, and President Cannon replied that he was very glad to learn of it.

The order of procedure, as to the prayer circle and the business of the Council, was next considered, and a decision reached that it would be better to have the prayer circle first.

President Snow now withdrew for the purpose of getting his Temple clothes, and in his absence a letter was read from President Joseph F. Smith, which letter President Snow had already heard. It was dated at Cardston, Canada, on the 8th inst., and it set forth that the people working on the Alberta canal were feeling well and were determined to complete the work according to contract. A later communication was promised, which would give the difference, if any, in the measurements, etc., made by Brother J. Fewson Smith (who accompanied President Smith) and those made by the engineer of the canal company.

The brethren present now clothed and assembled for prayer using the room of the Apostles, where they have always met to do the business of the Council, in lieu of the First Presidency's room, where the prayer circle was formerly held, but which is not now in readiness.

The hymn "Lord, we come before thee now", was sung; Elder Brigham Young offered the opening prayer, and Elder John W. Taylor was mouth in the circle. After the members of the Council had disrobed, and resumed their ordinary attire, the following business was transacted. ...

President Snow invited President Cannon to make a report of his visit to the East, and the latter then gave the following account. He was taken sick on his way to New York, and upon his arrival there had to be put to bed. The Doctor who sounded his chest said that he did not know that he had ever sounded a man of his age who had such good lungs, but that was all the worse for a man with pneumonia. He suffered no pain, but was in a kind of stupor. On the day of his change for the better he received word

from his family that they had been fasting and praying for him, and that they felt he would recover. The doctors pronounced it double pneumonia, and credited his recovery greatly to the fact that he had never used stimulants, as this enabled his system to respond to the medicines given. His condition was such that he could not attend to business, and he therefore thought it better not to remain. A Mr. Gibbs, of the New York Life Insurance Company, came and offered him the use of his new residence, with servants and every accommodation and convenience. He was also the recipient of kind offers from the national Park Bank people, and the Union Pacific Railroad directors, the latter sending him home in a private car, with cook and food, all complimentary. President Cannon stated that he did not have a moment's despondency, and did not feel at any time but that he would recover. He bore testimony to the Council that he had been healed by the power of God.

Brother Grant now brought to the consideration of the Council the constant efforts that were being made by the Gentiles of Salt Lake City, to draw business southward, and especially down Main Street. The idea had occurred to him that instead of a Deseret news building on the Council House corner, that a Z.C.M.I. retail store erected there would be the means of anchoring trade up on our side of the town. He believed that enough money could be realized from the sale of that corner to put up a News building on ground already owned by the Church. He had learned that the Hooper block, a fine well-built five-story structure, now used for offices, on 1st South street, east of the Deseret National Bank, could be bought for $60,000, and he believed that $65,000 could be realized for the Council House corner alone. This would save the Church the expense of erecting a building. The Hooper block would make a fine home for the News, and there would be offices in it to rent besides.

Brother John Henry Smith favored the suggestion made by Brother Grant. Business was fast going south, and he had felt for some time that if Z.C.M.I. maintained its business hold, it would have to move south. He had mentioned this to the directors on a previous occasion, but they had voted against it.

President Snow remarked that it was a question, even if a new retail building were erected for Z.C.M.I., whether it would be sufficient to keep our people from going further south to trade with the Gentiles. It was no doubt an important matter that Brother Grant had mentioned, and should receive consideration.

Brother Grant here added that he had been on the board of directors of Z.C.M.I. for many years, and the complaint had often been made that our people received better treatment and get goods cheaper elsewhere. This complaint had been heard by the board more than once and reported on to the contrary. It was found that the cheaper goods spoken of were inferior in quality to those sold at the same price by Z.C.M.I.

Brother Lyman and Brother Lund both favored the suggestion of Brother Grant, that is, unless Z.C.M.I. moved further south, which the directors did not want to do.

President Snow suggested that the matter be submitted to the

Z.C.M.I. Board of Directors, at its meeting today, and he said that if the directors favored it he would sustain them in it. ... (1)

1 - First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve minutes
2 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.