The history of Z.C.M.I, 1888

-- During 1888
(George Q. Cannon) Director of the Bullion-Beck and Champion Mining Company (from which most of his wealth was derived), Union Pacific Railroad, Co-op Wagon and Machine Company, and Grant Central Mining Company; vice-president of ZCMI and Zion's Savings Bank and Trust Company; and president of George Q. Cannon Publishing Company, Utah Sugar Company, Brigham Young Trust Company, and Utah Light and Power Company. (1)

-- Jan 10, 1889
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10th I signed 38 Recommends. I wrote 4 Letters. I Received 21 Letters. I Attended the Z.C.M.I Board Meeting and went to the farm & spent the Night.

My Brother Azmon Woodruff has Been in a Dying Condition for a week past and [I] have looked for him to Pass away any hour. (2)

-- Feb 11, 1889
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] Feb 11 1889 I signed 77 Recommends. I received 41 Letters. I wrote 5 Letters 3 Public & to Horatio Stanley & Sarah. I attended the Z.C.M.I. Board Meeting & spent the night at the Gardo. (2)

-- Monday, Feb 25, 1889
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I had a short visit with President W. Woodruff. Eighteen Elders were set apart for missions today by H. J. Grant and myself.

I sold five thousand dollars of my stock in Z.C.M.I. and bot the same amount in the Home Fire Insurance Co. (3)

-- Tuesday, Mar 5, 1889
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

We were busy all day at the Wasatch going through Papers and Deeds.

The Estate is valued as follows

Wasatch and Groesbeck block 222,000.00

Stocks, bonds, notes and

sundry other things 78,000.00

Deeds were made from the heirs to the incorporation.

We owe to Goldberg for ours due forty-five thousand dollars and twenty thousand for William and John Groesbeck. We also owe to the Deseret Bank five thousand dollars. John and William have our bank and Z.C.M.I. stock collated for $10,000. It is worth about $22,000.00. We have taken a lien on John and William Groesbeck's stock in the Groesbeck Co. to secure us for their debts. (3)

Footnotes:
1 - Van Wagoner, Richard and Walker, Steven C., A Book of Mormons
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
3 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/