The history of Z.C.M.I, Sep 6, 1888

-- Sep 6, 1888
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] Sept 6, 1888 {Horace S Eldridge Born Febuary 6, 1816 in Brutus New Y Died Sept 6, 1888 At 7.30 AM Aged 72 years & 7 Months} His Funeral was held at his house sunday Sept 8/88.

Horace S Eldridge died this Morning at his residence in Salt Lake City at 7.30 AM Aged 72 years & 7 Month. He was one of the seven first Presidents of the seventies. He was supposed to be the most wealthy Man in the Church. He was the President of the Deseret National Bank and Superintendet of Z.C.M.I. His loss will be felt by many. He is the Last of a list of rich Men who have been associated to gether in S L City viz Wm. H. Hooper, Wm. Jennings, Ferrymore Little & Horace S Eldridge. The rich must die as well as the Poor.

I had an interview this Morning with Asahel and Isaac M Wardell On business <while his [-] esteem differently for the present.> I signed 36 recommends. I received 25 Letters. I wrote 25 Letters 22 public & to Sarah Mary & M E Teasdale. (1)

-- Sep 10, 1888
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10 I went to the Gardo house & signed 91 Recommend. I received 58 Letters. I wrote 7 Letters 6 public & 1 to Jaques. I had an interview with Badlam & Trombow also with M. Thatcher. I held a Meeting with Board of Z.C.M.I. in the Evening I felt quite unwell. (1)

-- Friday, Nov 9, 1888
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I borrowed from the Deseret Bank today $5,500.00 for one year, interest at 8 percent payable quarterly. I paid $2,500.00 at bank, $1,400.00 to G. H. Taylor and $1,600.00 to H. J. Grant and Co. For the money borrowed at the Deseret bank I put up as security 40 shares of Z.C.M.I. stock and 50 shares of Coop. W. & M. Co. stock. (2)

-- Nov 10, 1888
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10 I spent most of the day Choring. I attended a Board Meeting of ZCMI at the Store in the Evening. 6 M. (1)

-- Dec 10, 1888
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10 I went to Brother Wm. B Dugles to spend the week. I signed 35 Recommends. I received 33 Letters. I wrote 2 Public Letters. I attended the Z.C.M.I Board Meeting at their office And returned to my room. Judge Zane has undertaken to break up the Settlement of Dyer with the Church But I heard to night the Lawyiers had used Zane up & the farce was Ended. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
2 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/