The history of Z.C.M.I, Feb 8, 1890

-- Feb 8, 1890
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] [After telegraphing again on the 7th using ZCMI and other men's names] Clark and I were notified by Bancroft that he had received word from Dodge to give us all the information we wished. We took the book containing the names of those in the Second Precinct and checked those that we understood had registered along the line of their road and Bancroft promised to have them compared. I learned this from Clark I did not go to the depot myself . . . The book of registered names was handed to Bancroft yesterday. Today Clark and I called and learned that all the checking which had been done was on the construction pay rolls and that there had been no checking done on the regular pay rolls of the company. We were told that it would take days to do anything of that kind. The permission to examine the rolls reminds me of a death be repentance. I hope that our merchants will teach the Rio Grande a lesson by having nothing to do with them in the future . .
. I called at the Herald office and the question was being considered as to whether we should publish the names of Hymes and Mcallum or not as being the two person who had gone down the Rio Grande road and registered the men on the line. I did not favor the publication as to my mind there was not sufficient evidence to sustain us in so doing. (1)

-- Feb 15, 1890
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 15 I met with Z.C.M.I. Board. The presidency Decided to Buy 50 History of Salt Lake City & 50 Utah Northern of Tullidge at $5 each to help him. 32 Recommends signed & 36 Letters. (2)

-- Feb 19, 1890
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 19 I signed 10 Recommends. I received 10 Letters. I wrote 2 Letters to Phebe A Snow. Met the ZCMI Board. Was sick at night. 6 M. (2)

-- Mar 31, 1890
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] March 31 1890 I signed 6 Recommends. I Received 9 Letters. I was vary sick for several hours. Was administered to By the Apostles & was soon Better. I met with the stock holders of the Bank & with Richards & Penrose on P[etition/olitic?]s & with Z.C.M.I & Badlam & Trombow. There is now some prospet of M. Thatcher Taylor Preston & Co fulfilling their Contract with the Calafornia Company and saving the Awful Catastrofee that seemed to await us through their folly. (2)

-- Apr 1, 1890
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] April 1, 1890 I signed 19 Recommends. I received 19 Letters. I met with ZCMI Board. I wrote 4 public Letters. I went to the farm. 6 M. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant,
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/