George Albert Smith, Feb 18, 1905

-- Feb 18, 1905
[Apostle George Albert Smith Journal] "2 P.M. large audience present several brethren spoke to the people. I referred to the Smoot investigation and testified to President Smith's Integrity." (1)

-- March 11, 1905; Saturday
[Letter: Heber J. Grant to George Albertr Smith] Yours of the 15th. ult. came to hand some days ago, and was received and read with interest. I am always please to hear from any of my brethren, but Bro[ther]. [Francis M.] Lyman and your father [i.e., John Henry Smith] are about the only ones who have written me much. I have so many letters to write and get so sick of pounding this little machine that I do not feel to complain that they have failed as a rule to write me. I write the Presidency once in a while, but they very seldom write me, and as a rule my letter are answered by Bro[ther]. [George] Reynolds. I think I have had one letter direct in about four months, and that was on the Schettler Bank suggestion. I am well and happy and as busy as can be, and feel that I shall be contented as long as I am wanted in this land, but shall not cry when I am called home as four Christmases away from home is about all I want, but if I am here in Dec[embe]r. I am sure I shall be as happy as if I were home. I am glad your health
is so good. Pres[ident]. Lyman writes me you are very active and he greatly appreciates your work. I have been made happy to see your father so much improved. At one time I almost felt like sending his boys home from Holland and Germany. I fell in love with Winslow. He is one of the sweetest spirited young men I have ever met. If I were a girl I would certainly try and capture him. Pres[ident]. [John R.] Winder never did sleep much. I have never been able to understand how he has kept up for twenty years on so little sleep, it would kill me. Glad Pres[ident]. [Joseph F.] Smith stand it so well under the strain that is put upon us. "The unwise position taken by some of the brethren" etc. I have read what you say on this with interest, and I wish to say that I think they did just what they felt in their hearts was desired and they have my unbounded love and confidence, much more I will say than do some of the men who find the most fault with them, and who never do anything for
the cause. Devoted and faithful men, and men that God blesses and inspires in their labors are not in my opinion to be compared to men who do nothing but find fault. I do not care to express an opinion in detail while I am six thousand miles away, but I have opinions and strong ones on a good many subjects. (2)

-- Thursday, April 27, 1905
[Diary of John Henry Smith (apostle and father of George Albert Smith)] Salt Lake City
All of the First Presidency and of the Twelve Francis M. Lyman, Myself, Rudger Clawson, Reed Smoot, Hyrum M. and George Albert Smith, C. W. Penrose and Patriarch John Smith and George F. Gibbs [met]. Routine business was gone through. Prayer by George Albert Smith. Prest. Francis M. Lyman was mouth at the altar. Fair reports were made by all. We talked over the question of Rebaptism and some other subjects. It was felt we had been a little too exacting in the matter. I met with the Directors of the Con. W. & M. Co. (3)

-- Saturday, May 6, 1905
[Diary of John Henry Smith (apostle and father of George Albert Smith)] Salt Lake City
I was at President J. F. Smiths office part of the day and at 8:30 p.m. in company with my son George Albert and my daughter Nancy Claribell and my son Don C., wife & cousin Edith Smith in company with Reed Smoot, wife & daughter, C. W. Penrose and Wife, Nephi Morris, L. Holbrook & Wife, W. J. Beatty and Wife, John Critchlow and Wife, W. N. Williams & Wife, David Smith and Wife, Wesley Smith, George Horne, Dr. Elias Wrights Wife left for Los Angeles, California at 8:30 p.m. on special car. (3)

-- May 12, 1905; Friday
[Letter: Heber J. Grant to George Albertr Smith]  I do rejoice to learn of the improved condition of your father's [i.e., John Henry Smith's] health, and hope and pray that he will continue to men until his health is perfect.
I must have had fifteen letters at least telling of your glorious conference and I do rejoice with you in the blessings of the Lord. Would have been happy to have been with you. Regret that Bro[ther]. [Marriner Wood] Merrill continues poorly. I do not think it will do any good to worry about Congressional action against us, as efforts to that end have been going on from the time I was a small boy, and we are still alive. In the language of your grandfather [i.e., George [Albert] Smith], "We came to these valleys willingly because we had to." It was for the best good of the people, and if we have to do something also the same way or suffer in any way I feel sure it will all be for the best. Regarding the actions of some of the brethren I perhaps do not know "just how far reaching their action has been," but I do know they have my perfect love and confidence, and that they have done nothing but what they felt was all right, and little more than some others, and I fear no more than I would have done had I not been in Japan.
I am glad to learn of the safe arrival of your brothers. Glad they feel so well about our treatment of them. I am sure we did but little, but had pleasure in doing what little we could. They were among the very best of our Conference Presidents. Their missions have done them good, as a mission does every one who is faithful. I can understand that you are kept busy. Sorry the tithing fell off some last year. I have never been to Canada, and so do not know the ranch you refer to. I only saw Jos[eph]. Rivett for a few hours and he impressed me as a business man from the word go, and one that religion would not bother to any extent. I like him very much. He is frank and honest and a splendid fellow if I am any judge. Glad your eyes are mending, but sorry they are so poor. Sorry your new office is not to [illegible] as nice as your present one.
I have wished for years that our Quorum had a nice office some where. We had one over twenty years ago when I was first made a member. It was in the Council House, and when that was destroyed by fire we have never had one since.,
My health is excellent, never better. I am as busy as a bee. I find just a little more to do than I can get done with ease. We put out more tracts last year than the year before and so far this year are doing better than last year. All well in the mission, and with few exceptions all working with a will. (2)
Footnotes:
1 - Journals of George Albert Smith
2 - Heber J. Grant, letter to George Albert Smith, George [Albert] Smith Papers, Marriott Library
3 - White, Jean Bickmore, Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
LDS History Chronology: George Albert Smith
Mormon History Timeline: The life of George Albert Smith
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/