George Albert Smith, Feb 22, 1911

-- Feb 22, 1911
Trial of John W. Taylor before the Quorum of Apostles for some of his post-manifesto plural marriage activities. In his defense Taylor has read aloud and entered into the minutes the Sept. 27, 1886 revelation given to his father, President John Taylor. The revelation is discussed. Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith states that a he, himself, as placed the original of the revelation in the church archives. However, Heber J. Grant, who is present and participated during the trial, later, as president of the church, publicly denies the existence of this revelation claiming there is no knowledge or record of it in the church. During the trial Taylor asks that President Joseph F. Smith be called in on his behalf but the council refuses to contact President Smith. The Apostles formally excommunicate Taylor on Mar 28. (1)


-- March 1, 1911; Wednesday
Minutes of a meeting of the Council of the Twelve, held March 1st, 1911, at 10 A.M. ... [Questioning of John W. Taylor]

H[eber]. J. Grant: I heard I don't know whether it is true or not, that you had in the name of the Lord cursed George Albert Smith?

J[ohn]. W. Taylor: No sir. I think I told Brother Ivins that if George Albert Smith did not stop talking against me, I would make him suffer the next time I met him and the curse of the Lord would rest upon him. The covenant of my brethren of the Apostles when I left them was that they would not talk against me and my family. Brother Taylor related in brief the circumstances connected with his leaving the Council of the Apostles.

C[harles]. W. Penrose: Have you ever heard any of the brethren of the Twelve say anything against you?

J[ohn]. W. Taylor: No I never meet them or with the people in their meetings. I have been ostracised and treated worse than an outsider, none of you have ever invited me to your homes and of course I have never invited you much with the exception of my daughter's wedding. I told John Henry Smith that his son was talking against me and if he did not stop talking the curse of God would rest upon him and I told Brother Ivins if George Albert didn't stop he would have to answer to me the first time I met him. I regard my covenants as sacred and expect the brethren to do the same. If this is the kind of blessing you get for doing what you consider right, it is a pretty poor reward.

... A[nthony]. W. Ivins: I would like to ask for my own information what George Albert Smith has said against Brother Taylor as I may be guilty of this same breach. The feeling has been prevalent in Mexico particularly that Brothers Taylor and Cowley were deposed for political reasons only and I have taken the view, although not present, that it was because they were out of harmony.

H[eber]. J. Grant expressed his view of the matter.

... Brother Taylor was excused. The Brethren spent some time considering the case of Brother Taylor, his attitude and expressions both before this Council and to others and to members of the Council individually, and President Lyman presented the following:

Brother Taylor admitted of wrongs in Canada and Davis county [Utah]. He tactically admits his late marriage with his typewriter.

He has cursed and threatened his brethren. He has put out a purported revelation of his father's which his father never presented to the Church nor his brethren. His construction upon it is very mischievous and against the position and discipline of the Church by the living oracles. It was in his power to have restrained Brothers Cowley and Woodruff, but instead his course lent encouragement to them. He has had no change of heart since he resigned his position in the Council. He has not met us in a friendly and penitent spirit. He blames us instead of himself for his troubles. He said he never wants to be associated with the Twelve in time or eternity. When his brethren reported his cursing of George Albert Smith, he said they were liars. The action of the stake Presidency and High Council in the case of Bishop Robinson he denounced as the damndest outrage ever perpetrated. In a threatening manner he tells us of the awful things that would happen to the Church if he should
open his mouth and tell what he knows. He greatly admires Henry S. Tanner and Nathan Clark who we have fou[n]d unsafe men. His examples and words give comfort and encouragement to those inclined to override the discipline of the Church. (2)


-- Tuesday, March 14, 1911
[Second Counselor John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City

Bro. Reed Smoot has returned from Washington with his wife.

I spent most of the evening at My son George Albert who[se] wife is very sick. (3)

Footnotes:
1 - Advent Adam website (defunct) - based on http://amzn.to/originsofpower
2 - Minutes of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, John Taylor Family Papers, Marriott Library; original in LDS Archives
3 - White, Jean Bickmore, Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith

LDS History Chronology: George Albert Smith

Mormon History Timeline: The life of George Albert Smith
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/