History of the Word of Wisdom, Mar 24, 1862

-- Mar 24, 1862
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 24th A Plesant morning. I received 2 letters from J. M. Bernhisel & one package of 5 tea plants. 2 I put in pots, one in my Garden one I gave to Presidents Youngs gardner & one to G. D. Watt. I received one letter from M Barton. (1)

-- Jun 8, 1862
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...Dr Michael Hyler was asked what He would do with the Rheumatism. He would give Rhoubarb & Calomel generally. I use Dovers Powders, Bark and wine, Campher & opeum. For the Lung fever I would give Alloes tartar emetic & Epiece and vegitable & mineral tonics and Calomel (tonics composed of Quinine & arsenic). For sore Eyes I use a solution of 2 grains of Tartar Emetic, 1 pint of barley water, 1 grain of Cream of tartar & give a wine glass full of the solution. I make a wash of Blue vitrol and Campher to wash the Eye. For Frost Bitten Limbs I would make a salve 1 lb Rosen 1 lb Beeswax, 2 lbs. Butter 4 oz. spirits of Nitre 2 oz of Quicksilver & Cut it with suphuric acid. For Diarrhea I would give Rheubarb magnecia 20 drops peppermint 10 drops lodlam half a pint of Barley water. Cover it till it gets Cool. Sweeten with loaf sugar. Take a spoonfull each hour for 6 Hours for grown person. Children in proportion. For Cancers I use Arsenic internal
ly & Externally.

Dr Palmer the Ey doctor makes use of the following articles as his main medicines: Nitred of Silver Sulphat of Zink sulphat of Copper suphat of Iron, Salt, Sugar, saltpeter Borax Opeum Camphor Belladona, Croton Oil, & Calomel. (1)

-- Aug 30, 1863
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] In the Evening I went down to see James Furguson who was near his End with hard drinking. He wished me to administer to him which I did. He did not have any reali[zisens?] that he was going to die. I told his family that he would not live much past midnight. He died about 1 oclok at night. (1)

-- Feb 2, 1864
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 2d I spent the day mostly at home writing & Choreing. I attended the Gardners Club in the Evening & presented to the Club the following specimins of Apples: Northern spy, Pecks plesant, green New Town Pippin, wine sap, Newtown Spitzenborgh, wagner, Hubbardsons Nonesuch & green winter Pairmain. (1)

-- Jul 23, 1864
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 23d I visited Brother E. B. Kelseys Currant Orchard of some 4 Acres from which he makes his wine. We Commenced a Two days meeting at the Bowery at 10 oclok. The Meeting was Addressed by John Sharp, A. H. Raleigh, Peter Maughn & G A Smith in the forenoon, & in the Afternoon President Young spoke. Was followed By J. Taylor & R L Campbell. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/