Lorenzo Snow, Thursday, Apr 23, 1896

-- Thursday, Apr 23, 1896
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

Prest. W. Woodruff, Jos. F. Smith, Lorenzo Snow, Franklin D. Richards, Brigham Young, F. M. Lyman, Myself, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor, M. W. Merrill and Abraham H. Cannon met at the Temple and had prayer. Prest. Jos. F. Smith['s] sermon on the [Political] Manifesto at Provo came up for consideration but no decision was reached, only opinions expressed. I feel Bro. Jos. F. construction of the Manifesto cuts to[o] deep and will cause trouble for our people everywhere. The Question of putting up monuments to our martyred brethren on the Temple block was discussed but not passed upon. (1)


-- Apr 23, 1896
[Apostle Marriner W. Merrill Diary] Thursday. At Salt Lake. I called on President Snow at the Temple as per request by telegram and learned from him that my name had been suggested to go to England and preside over the European Mission. ... (2)


[Apostle Marriner W. Merrill Diary] Thursday. At Salt Lake. I called on President Snow at the Temple as per request by telegram and learned from him that my name had been suggested to go to England and preside over the European Mission. I anticipated this, hence was not surprised. Met at our room with President Woodruff and President Joseph F. Smith and nine of the Apostles present. Discussed about the meaning of the recent public address. My name was also discussed about the said mission. I expressed myself as willing entirely to go and do the best I could, if the Brethren thought my physical condition was such that I could go. President Woodruff, President Joseph F. Smith, also Lorenzo Snow thought a more healthy man should be selected, and the meeting adjourned without an expression of the Brethren being taken. I called at the Temple dining room, took lunch, then went to the President's office and discussed further with Presidents Woodruff and Smith (President Cannon being in New York) about my going to England. They both felt that I should not go, as before expressed. (2)

Endnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
2 - Notes from the Miscellaneous Record Book, 1886-1906: Selected diary notes from the journal books of Marriner Wood Merrill, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: Lorenzo Snow

Mormon History Timeline: the life of Lorenzo Snow
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/

--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LDS Church History" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to LDS-church-history+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.