History of the Word of Wisdom, Jun 3, 1876

-- Jun 3, 1876
DESERET NEWS publishes grand jury's audit of Salt Lake Corporation's finincial records which show extensive transactions involving liquor. Municipal funds purchase liquor for Pioneer Day on Jul 24 and also for party of Mormon Battalion veterans. The city rents Brigham Young's distillery for $2,000 annually from 1861 to 1867, after which city government purchases its liquor directly from Howard Distillery which is owned jointly by Brigham Young and his first counselor Daniel H. Well. Young is also member of Salt Lake City Council (1872-1877), and Wells is mayor from 1866 to 1876. Report observes "After completion of the railroad, the city continued to buy liquor from Brigham Young at $4.00 per gallon, although they could have gotten better 'States' liquor at $1.25 per gallon." (1)

-- Dec 18, 1876
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... Elder Erastus Snow arived & we held a Priesthood Meeting and we all spoke our feelings & advised the people not to Mingle with the Miners nor unite with them in dancing parties and to sell their wine by the Barrel to the Miners & not retail it.... (2)

-- Sat 17.
[John Nuttle Diary] At the Temple reading & comparing passages of Scripture- not having concluded my research. wrote on the Mode of Proceedure of Temple Workings- supper postponed until tomorrow at 5 P.M. spent the evning at Bro Macdonals. sister Mc Nixed me some wine & honey for my cough- slept better tonight (3)

-- Apr 15, 1877
[John Nuttle Diary] Bro Slack gave me a small bottle old wine to take home. (3)

-- May 16, 1877
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... I thought I was poisond to death to day with a tea made of Indian root which was recommended good for my lungs. After swallowing 3 tea spoonfulls I turned deadly sick for two hours. I felt as though I would die. I drank sweet oil, No 6, and Cayenne pepper tea which finally eased my distress. There was quite a Change Came over my whole system in the Evening. I rested well through the night. Br George Jarvis watched with me for several nights. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
3 - Diary Excerpts of L. John Nuttall, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/