George Albert Smith, Saturday, Dec. 24, 1881

-- Saturday, Dec. 24, 1881
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

Cold and roads dry and dusty. Today we made some small purchases for our children and I was at Prest. J. Taylor's office. (1)

-- Sunday, Dec. 25, 1881
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

My children enjoyed their Christmas very much and I took much pleasure with them.

We all ate dinner at Josephine's and at 2 p.m. I went to meeting. Bro. C. W. Penrose delivered a fine discourse on the birth of Christ and the establishment of the Kingdom of God.

6 p.m. attended meeting at the 12th ward. (1)

-- 1882 March
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father of George Albert Smith]] Goes to Washington, D.C., to work against passage of the Edmunds Bill by the House of Representatives. (2)

-- Tuesday, Aug. 8, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] ... Bro. E. Snow and son, myself and Son [George Albert] are on our way to Emery Co. (1)

-- Thursday, Aug. 31, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Provo

I went to Provo and called upon [Karl] G. Maeser. I paid the tuition of my son [George Albert] for the quarter [at Brigham Young Academy]. (1)

-- Friday, Sept. 8, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Provo

I bought a dictionary, grammar, reader, and speller for my boy. I paid my taxes and got George some shoes. (1)

-- Monday, Sept. 18, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I am thirty four years old today and I am in good health and spirits. My wives and children are all happy and well, and while our government is making exertions to bring trouble upon the saints all is well in Zion.

My wife Sarah gave me a gold collar button. My wife Josephine gave me Gaskels Compendium.

I bought fifty steel engravings of my father, and will scatter them among the family. (1)

-- Friday, Oct. 13, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] S. L. City

My wife Josephine is 25 years old today. I gave her a gold ring. I was at Prest. John Taylor office most of the day.

President Taylor presented a revelation he had received in which the Lord presented the names of George Teasdale and H[eber]. J. Grant to fill the vacancies in the quorum of the Twelve and S. B. Young to fill a vacancy in the Seventies. The revelation embodies some nice doctrinal points. [See November 24, 1882, entry for text of revelation.]

Their were present John Taylor, G. Q. Cannon, J. F. Smith, Wilford Woodruff, E. Snow, B. Young, M. Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, L. J. Nuttall, George Reynolds and myself and part of the time Lorenzo Snow.

I am not clear on one of these brethren proposed for position. Bro. Teasdale is distastefull to me in his sycophantic manner. H. J. Grant I love, but he should have the testimony of the truth, and he is physically ruined. S. B. Young is choice in every way, but on the doctrine of celestial marriage [plural marriage] I am afraid he is lame.

In the evening I attended the high Council meeting who were to pass upon the correctness of some doctrines and revelations to C. W. Stayner.

Prest. A.M. Cannon in my judgement got badly mudled and made some wild rulings. I would spank my boys for such lack of Justice and Judgement. (1)

-- Tuesday, Oct. 24, 1882
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I made arrangemeants with my mother to board my son for $10.00 per month half merchandise and half on G.T.O. I also arranged with [Karl] G. Maeser to take G.T.O. orders for tuition.

I blest my son George Albert and gave him some fatherly instruction. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - White, Jean Bickmore, Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith
2 - White, Jean Bickmore, Church, State, and Politics, p.xviii, A John Henry Smith Chronology, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith

LDS History Chronology: George Albert Smith

Mormon History Timeline: The life of George Albert Smith
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/