George Albert Smith, Wednesday, Dec. 31, 1902

-- Wednesday, Dec. 31, 1902
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City

This has been a fairly prosperous year for me. Myself and family have paid Tithing on over five thousand dollars... (1)

-- Tuesday, Jan., 27, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City and Provo

I went down to Provo today and attended the funeral of Mrs. Richard Briarton. The audience was largely apostate Mormons. I had good liberty in speaking as did the other brethren. I returned to Salt Lake City and in company with my son George A. took the remains of my brother Charles W. Smith to Provo and to his home there. (1)

-- Thursday, April 9, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Ogden

I went to Ogden and had a nice time with the Farr family, 260 of whom me[t] together in the Ward meeting house and amusement Hall. Speaking, Singing, reciting, dancing and eating was the order of the day and evening. Aaron Farr is 85 years old. Lorin [grandfather] is 83 years old and Winslow is 66 years old. My sons George and Nathaniel and daughter Priscilla and wife Sarah F. were present. (1)

-- Wednesday, April 15, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] ... To night I blest my son George and his wife who are going on a trip to Europe. (1)

-- Thursday, June 8, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City

At l0 a.m. all of the First Presidency, Francis M. Lyman, Myself, Rudger Clawson, Reed Smoot, George Albert Smith, Charles W. Penrose, John Smith Patriarch and George F. Gibbs met in Council in the Room of the Presidency at the Temple.

Reports were made and Routine business was gone through with. It was decided to allow the people of St. John and Snowflake stakes to move away if they wished to as so much damage had come to them in recent floods in the Little Colorado River. (1)

-- Wednesday, July 15, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City

I have paid to the family of my Bro. Charles W. this Month $20.00 and George has paid her $5.00. He has paid to help Winslow and Nicholas $10.00 and I have sent them $125 this month. (1)

-- Wednesday, Sept. 30, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Sunday, Oct. 4, 1903 - Salt Lake City [general conference]

President Jos. F. Smith said to me tonight that the mind of the spirit was that my son George Albert should fill the vacancy in the Apostles. I told him was it a political office I would advise against it but I could not stand in the way of the suggestions of the spirit to him. (1)

-- Tuesday, Oct. 6, 1903
[Apostle John Henry Smith [father] Diary] Salt Lake City [general conference]

... All of the First Presidency and Patriarch and of the apostles Myself, George Teasdale, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor, Matthias F. Cowley, Abraham O. Woodruff, Rudger Clawson, Reed Smoot and Hyrum M. Smith met in Council in the Presidents office.

President Joseph F. Smith said the mind of the spirit to him was that George A. Smith fill the vacancy in the Council of the Apostles. It was

sustained unanimously, all speaking their minds.

At 2 p.m. the Conference convened.

President Joseph F. Smith presented the General Authoraries. Francis M. Lyman was sustained as President of the Twelve, George A. Smith as one of the 12 caused by the death of Brigham Young. Heber J. Grant to go to England to preside over the European Mission. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - White, Jean Bickmore, Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990, http://bit.ly/johnhenrysmith

LDS History Chronology: George Albert Smith

Mormon History Timeline: The life of George Albert Smith
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/