The history of Z.C.M.I, 1880

-- During 1880
[ZCMI] A wing added in 1880 doubled the square footage of this landmark in Salt Lake's business district. (1)

-- Feb 04, 1881
The Zion's Cooperative Mercantile Institution store (ZCMI) in Ogden is dedicated. (2)

-- Feb 4, 1881 (Friday)
Z.C.M.I. store at Ogden was dedicated. (3)

-- Friday, Jun 3, 1881
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I met in Council with President J. Taylor, George Q. Cannon, J. F. Smith, F. D. Richards and myself. It was decided by the Council that the various wards of the several stakes of Zion should Incorporate in order to hold Church property in their wards. I got my pay from the City $16.00 and an order for $50.00 on Z.C.M.I. and ten in cash for expenses on my trip south.

I spent the evening at home. I am suffering from rheumatism. (4)

-- Sep 13, 1881
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 13 I wrote 4 Letters to J. G. Bleak John R. Stewart L. L. Fuller & Allexander Findley. The three last to go on a Mission to St John Arizona. Presidet Taylor wishes me to Call men to settle that Place which I am doing as I have an opportunity.

Sept 14. 1881 I attended the funeral of David John Taylor son of President Taylor's who went to New York to buy goods for Z.C.M.I. Was taken suddenly sick & Died there Aged 28. Left a wife & 2 Children. Bishop Thomas Taylor Joseph F Smith W Woodruff & G Q Cannon addressed the Meeting. We had a large assembly. (5)

Footnotes:
1 - Utah History Encyclopedia: ZCMI, http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/z/ZCMI.html
2 - The Woodland Institute 'On This Day Historical Database,' http://www.woodlandinstitute.com
3 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology
4 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
5 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/