The history of Z.C.M.I, Thursday, Mar 14, 1889

-- Thursday, Mar 14, 1889
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The parties who are organizing the Home Life Insurance Co. met at the Deseret Bank and opened the subscriptions for the stock. They agreed to pay $115.00 per share for Z.C.M.I. The Livery Stable Directors met and concluded not to go into the wagon business. (1)

-- Apr 5, 1889
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 5th April 11 of the Twelve Apostles met in Council and we organized the first Presidency By Apointing Wilford Woodruff President & George Q Cannon & Joseph F Smith Councillors.

After Meeting with the Twelve Apostles and Organizing the first Presidency I met with the Stock Holders ] of the ZCMI and My Report as the President of the institution was [read] and a Dividend of 5 per cent for the half year Declaired. We then adjourned and I then went into a Meeting of the State Board of Education and transacted such Business as was necessary. I Called in the Evening at Judge Elias Smiths and returned at [to] the Gardo & had an interview with Br Charles O Card. (2)

-- Apr 10, 1889
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10 I signed 9 Recommends. I received 5 Letters. I wrote 2 Letters. I met with the Board of Z.C.M.I. I had a great Deal of Company and Many Questions to Decide. (2)

-- May 10, 1889
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] Friday May 10, 1889 All well this morning. I signed 24 recommends and 12 letters. Approved of the organization of four new wards in Star Valley Wyoming and the selection of Bishops therefor as per letter from Prest Wm Budge. Brother Geo. Q Cannon & myself attended a meeting of the Directors of Z.C.M.I at 2 p.m. Attended to the distribution of the Stock of Z S. B & T Co which formerly belonged to the Church. I took 125 Shares. I drove to my farm this evening. /I attended a Theatrical Exhibition at Brother G. Q Cannons residence by his children./ (2)

-- Jul 10, 1889
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10 I signed 17 Recommends. I received 11 Letters. I signed 64 drafts on Liverpool. I Attended a Meeting of Z.C.M.I. Board. I attended a political Meeting. I went to the farm. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/