The history of Z.C.M.I, Aug 31, 1887

-- Aug 31, 1887
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 31 Received 10 Letters wrote 1 Letter to Sarah signed 20 Rec. We spent the day in Council & Met with H S Eldridge in the Evening upon Z.C.M.I. Decided to Appoint the same office[rs] Except Wilford Woodruff was to be presidet. (1)

-- Wednesday, Aug 31, 1887
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The following brethren met at 10 a.m.: Wilford Woodruff, Lorenzo Snow, Erastus Snow, F. D. Richards, Joseph F. Smith, Moses Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, John Henry Smith, H. J. Grant and J. W. Taylor.

Some appropriations were considered. The question of the Directors of Z.C.M.I. came up and the management of the concern was talked over.

It was decided to employ Broadhead of St. Louis as our Attorney in the Church property Suit. (2)

-- Thursday, Sep 1, 1887
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Council met at 10 a.m. and D. H. Wells was present with us. The Savings Bank business was talked over. The board of Directors of Z.C.M.I. were agreed upon with one exception.

The State movement was talked over and letters and telegrams read. Bro. Lorenzo Snow read or rather gave a verbal report of his trip north into Idaho. Bro. M. Thatcher said the Oneida Stake had been organized with G. C. Parkinson, S. H. Hale and M. H. Cowley as the Presidency.

Bro. Lyman reported the Manti temple business. Report accepted. (2)

-- Monday, Oct 10, 1887
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

Armstrong, Farnsworth and Co. met and agreed to distribute $40,000.00 Z.C.M.I. stock, the dividends arising therefrom to go to the Syndicate.

E. D. Woolley and I are making arrangements to borrow some money. I agreed to give one thousand dollars to the State movement. (2)

-- Dec 12, 1887
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I arose at 6. Came down to the Dining room. Found the Looking glass that had hung there 10 years had fallen to the floor & brok all to peaces. It affected Emma as a Bad omen. I road to Brother Clarks and spent the day. I signed 25 Recommends, Received 20 Letters. I wrote 12 Letters Private to Jaques, Sarah & Delight. I met at Z.C.M.I with the Board Meeting and heard a report of the business of the instituion. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
2 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/