History of the Word of Wisdom, Jan 22, 1849

-- Jan 22, 1849
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 22 And rode to Boston And Arived home sick And weary. Mrs Woodruff commenced doctering me. I took an Emetic of strong thoroughwert or Boneset tea. I found myself very Bilious And the tea done me much good... (1)

-- Feb 4, 1849
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... And Wilford Woodruff Jr. Now ordained A Priest can bless the bread And wine And Administer it to the family who Are members of the Church from time to time inasmuch As they have not A chance to Attend meeting in Any branch of the church.... (1)

-- Feb 6, 1849
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 6th Wilford was vary sick through the day And at night. His symtoms were vary much like the Cholera. His symtoms of cramping vomiting &c Appeared dangerous. We Administered to him by the laying on of hands. We also steemed him And gave him herb teas. His cramping stoped yet he Complained of great pain in his bowels, which commenced swelling & Appeared As though inflammation was setting in. We gave pulverized charcoal in his teas to stop infla-mation which has great effect in such cases. We each bowed before the Lord & Called upon his name And Administered to him according to the order of the Priesthood And from that hour he began to recover & slept comfortably the latter part of the night. (1)

-- Feb 16, 1849
"Joseph said I command you to go and get another wife. I felt as if the grave was better for me than anything - but I was filled with the Holy Ghost that my wife and Brother Kimballs wife would upbraid me for lightness in those days - I could jump up and hallow. my blood clear as India rum, my flesh clear... (2)

-- Mar 10, 1849
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 10th I recieved 3 letters to day one from Br & Sister Luther Scammans one from W. I. Appleby one from Br John Druce Haverstraw N.y. I also recieved the Herald N york weekly. It contained the Closing & breaking up of Congress which was A disgraceful scene. The member got drunk, fought, knocked each other down had bloody noses cursed damned &c which shows the state the Government is runing into. Elders J. C. Little & Whipple called upon me & spent the evening. I had a good time with them. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies
2 - Discourses of Brigham Young

LDS History Chronology: the Word of Wisdom

Mormon Timeline: the Word of Wisdom
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/