George Albert Smith, Feb 14, 1951

-- Feb 14, 1951
[President George Albert Smith Journal] conversation between Pres [George Albert Smith] & [J. Reuben Clark]:

"[[George Albert Smith]]...It has been suggested to me that I go to some other part of the country and try to get better. I have felt that the headquarters of the work of the Lord was here. Most of the financial interests of the Church are controlled from here, and I have thought we ought to have one in charge so that in the event of the sickness of the President they could carry on. If the President is sick, things would go forward any how..."

"President Clark: I have done all I can and will do all I can to carry on. I have a real affection for you. I have no desire except to help you and help carry on the Lord's work." - at request of [George Albert Smith] [J. Reuben Clark] [illegible word] & [George Albert Smith] relations administer to [George Albert Smith] (1)


-- Feb 19, 1951
L.D.S. Girls Program-- Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah.

The L.D.S. Girls Program to receive the support of both the Aaronic Priesthood and the YWMIA.

February 19, 1951 To the Bishoprics of the Church

Dear Brethren:

It is unanimously recommended by the Presiding Bishopric, the Presidency of the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association, and the Advisors to the General Mutual Improvement Board that the close cooperation of the Bishoprics of Wards, the Sunday School and the Mutual Improvement Association leaders of the Girls' Program be continued as heretofore, even though the Girls' Program is now placed under the direct supervision of the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association.

In order to make more effective the Girls' program, as well as the Aaronic Priesthood, including that of the Adult Aaronic Priesthood, it seems not only advisable but essential that the Bishopric of each Ward hold at least two meetings each month-one with the officers and teachers of the Aaronic Priesthood, and another with the officers and teachers of the girls of corresponding age. We are informed that the meeting with the Aaronic Priesthood is already being held.

We now recommend that the Bishopric of each Ward arrange to hold a monthly meeting with the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association Presidency, and attendance secretary, Sunday School secretary, and the class leaders of the Bee Hive, Mia Maid and Junior Cleaner groups. The Sunday School Superintendency and class leaders of these groups in Sunday School might also be invited to attend, especially on specific occasions when their advice and counsel will be helpful.

The Bishopric of the Ward should aim to set the meeting at an hour most convenient to the majority expected to be in attendance. The day suggested by the Presidency of the Young Woman's Mutual Improvement Association is the fourth Sunday in each month. Reports of the six months ending December, 1950, inclusive, indicate an excellent record made by the girls between the ages twelve to nineteen in their attendance at Sacrament meeting, at Sunday School, at the Mutual Improvement Association, and in other Church activity. We commend these young women and their officers and teachers for their desires to maintain the ideals and standards of the Church, knowing full well that as they continue thus to conduct their lives that joy and peace will be their ultimate reward.

We assure you members of Bishoprics that in winning the confidence of the young men and women of your wards, in leading them to participate in Church activities and duties, you are exercising one of the most important functions of your presidency of the Aaronic Priesthood.

May the Lord bless you and inspire you in this leadership.

Sincerely yours, GEO. ALBERT SMITH, J. REUBEN CLARK, JR., DAVID O. MCKAY, First Presidency. {1951-February 19-Original circular letter, L.D.S. Church} (2)


-- Feb 26, 1951
American Red Cross annual appeal-- Archives, Salt Lake City, Utah.

(The annual appeal of the American Red Cross to be read in ward sacrament meetings.) (2)


[President George Albert Smith Journal] "Dr. Kimball came about 9:30 in the morning and examined me, and then Arthur brought President Clark up about 10:30 in the morning and I asked President Clark to give me a blessing, which he did." (1)


[President George Albert Smith Journal] "Very confused, very nervous" [Nurses Notes] (1)


-- Feb 28, 1951
[President George Albert Smith Journal] "Is confused as to time of day" [Nurses Notes] (1)


[President George Albert Smith Journal] "President Clark came up to see me and at my request gave me a blessing." (1)


-- Mar 3, 1951
[President George Albert Smith Journal] "In the afternoon Arthur drove President Clark up to see me, and I had a brief but pleasant visit with him and at my request President Clark gave me a blessing. I do not feel that I am making any gain. I seem to get weaker all the time. The doctor assures me that my heart, lungs and pulse are in good condition but I feel that I just am not gaining as I should like. My only desire is to do the work as the Lord would have me do it because there is so much to do." (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Journals of George Albert Smith
2 - Clark, James R., Messages of the First Presidency (6 volumes)

LDS History Chronology: George Albert Smith

Mormon History Timeline: The life of George Albert Smith
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/