Dreams in LDS History, Mar 12, 1858

LDS History Chronology: Dreams

-- Mar 12, 1858
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I spent a short time in the morning in my garding setting out Strawburies, sowing Cabage Onions and radish.

I then went to the office. Found Elders Kimball O Hyde G A Smith waiting to read history to the President. Brother Hyde said that mother Eldridge had a dream of late. Father Eldridge appeared to her. Was dressed in the most splendid military aray. She said Father are you going to fight the soldiers? I am going into the mountains to help defend the Kingdom of God.... (1)

-- Aug 16, 1858
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...I Called upon President Young. He was vary Cheerful. Brother Kimball had a dream which He told. He dreamed the City was full of Hogs who appeared mad. They were foaming & frothing at the mouth. They tried to bite him but he found their mouths was tied up and they Could not bite. He got up onto a wall to get away from them & when he Come to look around to see whare they were and he Could not see one in the City. They had all gone away vary suddenly.

Furguson said that forty men went out under Lieut Lee to Chastize the Indians from Fort Bridger.

President Young said the Indians will ketch it yet. I want Enmity put between the wicked & the wicked. I do not Care one Groat about the whores who will go to the armey. They will not serve God or keep his laws and they may go to Hell. The people will prove themselves to be either good or Bad before the Lord. (1)

-- Sep 26, 1858
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ...The following Dream was related which President Young [had] on Friday night Sept 24, 1858: He dreamed that 4 men came into his room and tried to get in. He tried to shoot them with his pistol but Could not get it off. He then drew a Bowie knife but found it to be a Carving knife with a saw on one side. At the same time Mr Clarkson reached over his shoulder & drew a large Bowie knife from between his shoulders & attempted to kill Presidet Young who said to him you may think that you are going to do sumthing but I will show you. He then threw his saw knife at Clarkson & Just as it was about to enter his body Brigham Young reached out his hand Caught it so that it did not hurt him saying at the same time you now see what I Can do. Clarkson said I see that my life is in your power. At the same time he plunged his knife into his own breast & split it open then handed the handle of the knife all Bloody to B. Young & walked a short distance & fe
ll dead.... (1)

-- Nov 20, 1858
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 20th I spent the day separating scraps. It snowed mostly through the day. I Called upon President Young in the evening at 9 oclok I Conversed with him upon the Deseret Alphabet. All our former manuscript was lost and he wished me to Join Elder G. D. Watt in making out an other.

At 5 oclok P Dodson Came to serve A writ upon Brigham Young sen. Brigham Young jr. Joseph A. Young, Hiram Clawson, & James Ferguson. President Young sent word for him to leave a Copy & He would acknowledge the serving of the writ. At half past 5 [One?] Gilbert Came again to serve the same writs & was Determined to go in but they did not let him but acknowledged the writ. The Gentiles are trying to make a Fuss with the Saints in this place But God will Controll the matter. This puts me in mind of my dream last winter that the Armey Came in & I was taken three times with warr[en]ts. I herd President Young acknowledge the servear of the writ. This writ was issued upon a Complaint that President Young had taken the property of Mr Burr which he left. He was sewed in the sum of $3,000. I remained till near 9 oclok. (1)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993

Mormon Timeline: Dreams
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/