Dreams in LDS History, Nov 3, 1886

LDS History Chronology: Dreams

-- Nov 3, 1886
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 3 We drove to Paragoony and spent the night at Brother Joseph Bartons. 32 Mils.

Emma Dreamed in the night that her gold ring was broaken in to, and split open lengthwaise. That night Martitia Smith Emmas Mother Died Aged 75. {Martitia Smith Died Nov 3, 1886 Aged 74} This was a remarkable thing. (1)

-- Mar 12, 1887
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I receivd 5 Letters from Jaques, Emma Clara Blanch and Owen. In company with Brother Thompson I road to Atkin. They let the water into the pond to day. We went to the pond to try to get a fish for the sick but got Nothing. I conversed with Br J. D. T. McAllister Concerning being sealed for the dead. He thought the Courts would require us to record in the Probate Courts office all Sealings for the dead as well as for the living so I let the matter rest untill we heard the opinion of Presidt Taylor.

I dreamed last night that the L D Saints were holding a great Conference at Salt Lake City at the great Temple and thousands of Mechanics were laboring hard to finish the Temple. I was requested to open the Conference As I was an Exile and they might not have me with them long. The Key of the Temple was given me to open it. As I went to the door A large Company were assembled and I overtook Presidt Brigham Young and He asked what the matter was with the great Company at the Door. Some one Answered the Elders did not want to Let the people into the Temple. He said Oh, oh, oh, and turned to me & said let all all into the Temple who seek for Salvation. I saw several who were Dead and among the Number my wife Phebe. I Believe there is some meaning to this dream. (1)

-- Mar 15, 1887
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 15 I wrote 1 Letter to Jaques. Went up the pond. Got 2 ducks.

I dreamed again last night of Attending another General Conference. President Taylor was present but seemed in poor health. He seemed to think he should soon pass away. There was an immense body of the saints gathered together. I dream almost Evry night of these great Meetings. I do not now understand what those Dreams Mean. I received a Letter to day from A.M. Tenney. Presidet Taylor Died July 25/87. (1)

-- Jul 4, 1887
[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] ... I received a Letter from George Q Cannon giving me an account of the dangerous Condition of Presidet Taylor. He is liable to drop off any day. I wrote Brother Cannon a Short Letter. Thus I am Satisfied that my late Dreams are abot to fulfilled and that Presidet Taylor is abot to be taken from us. Thermometer 110 in the Shade. (1)

-- Jul 25, 1887
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] . . . I called at the place where Pres[iden]t Wilford Woodruff was stopping I talked with him until nearly 12 oclock, .... We had a long talk regarding the sickness of Pres[iden]t John Taylor and the changes that would of necessity take place in case of his death. He told me of a number of dreams that he had had since the middle of April that had impressed him with the idea that Pres[iden]t Taylor was not going to live long. I expressed my opinion of the way Pres[iden]t Cannon had treated our quorum, in plain terms and said that I had much more confidence in Pres[iden]t Joseph F Smith than in Pres[iden]t Cannon and that I never expected to see the day after the death of Pres[iden]t Taylor that Joseph F. Smith would not be a greater man among the latter-day saints than George Q Cannon. Pres[iden]t Woodruff seemed to share my opinion that Pres[iden]t Cannon had not treated our quorum with as much respect and consideration as he should have done, a
nd also seemed to fully endorse my good opinion of Pres[iden]t Smith, Pres[iden]t Woodruff favored bringing Pres[iden]ts Cannon and Smith back into our quorum in case of the death of Pres[iden]t Taylor, Pres[iden]t Woodruff said he would be willing to have Joseph F Smith made the Pres[ident] of the Church provided the quorum of the apostles should wish it but as near as I could judge he had no idea that such a thing would be done. Pres[iden]t Woodruff expressed himself as having no desire to become the President of the Church and I am convinced that he is perfectly sincere in what he said. I know that some of the members of our quorum are of the opinion that in case of the reorganization of the First Presidency after the death of Pres[iden]t Teylor and before the death of Pres[iden]t Woodruff that Bro[ther] Woodruff must be made the President. I have no such a feeling. I feel that Pres[iden]t Joseph F. Smith will succeed Pres[iden]t Taylor if the First Presidency is reorgani
zed. There is no man living on this earth that I love any more, if as much as I do Joseph F. and it may be my love for him, and not the impression of the Spirit that has given me such a very strong feeling that he is to be the next President of our Church, Of course I know that Pres[iden]t Woodruff must be the President of the Church while the First Presidency remains unorganized, and if the brethren decide that he is to be the Pres[iden]t of the Church when the First Presidency is reorganized then I shall be perfectly satisfied. I have unlimited confidence in Pres[iden]t Woodruff and can sustain him with all my heart Not having perfect confidence in Pres[iden]t Cannon may also have had something to do with bring me to the opinion that Pres[iden]t Jos[eph] F. Smith would succeed Pres[iden]t John Taylor, Pres[iden]t Woodruff felt that John Taylor had been the right man and in the right place but at the same time he could not endorse in his feelings Pres[iden]t Taylor's mining
schemes; felt that church funds should not go into mines. Felt that Bro[ther] Joseph F. Smith should come home, Did not endorse the manner in which A. M. Cannon had run things in the Salt Lake Stake, Felt determined to do his duty in case of the Pres[iden]t’s death. Felt that the Gardo house was a great mistake and wanted it closed after the President's death, Felt that, as he knew little or nothing regarding the way church funds had been handled an auditing committee should be appointed to fully investigate matters. As stated, I talked with Pres[iden]t Woodruff until nearly 12 oclock. There were many other items that we talked about but the above are the main ones, and all that I could now recall . . . asked me if I had any idea of what we could do with the Gardo house. Could not said in answer to a question from me that he favored the move for statehood said it changed matters very much in his mind after hearing my explanation. . . . Stated that many years ago he had dr
eamed that he was present at the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple, also dreamed the same thing in April last when dreaming of Pres[iden]t Taylor's sickness, I never enjoyed anything more than I have my visit with Pres[iden]t Woodruff. To me it is delightful to meet a man whose whole ambition is to know the mind and will of God and who desires with all of his heart and strength to carry out that will after learning it . . . I am not naturally possessed of the great humility of spirit that I see and admire so much in him. .... (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
2 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant,

Mormon Timeline: Dreams
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/