Speaking in Tongues, Apr 14, 1832

-- Apr 14, 1832
Brigham Young (a carpenter and joiner) baptized, later receives the gift of tongues and interpretation; speaks in tongues. (1)


-- September 1832
[Heber C. Kimball diary] "In September, Brothers Brigham and Joseph Young and myself went up to Kirtland, Ohio, in my wagon, to visit the Prophet. * * * We saw Brother Joseph Smith and had a glorious time, during which Brother Brigham spoke in tongues before Joseph, this being the first time that Joseph had heard the gift of tongues. He rose up and testified that the gift was from God, and then the gift fell upon him and he spoke in tongues himself; he afterwards declared it was the pure or Adamic language which he spoke. * * * We had a precious season, and returned with a blessing in our souls. ..." (2)


-- Sep 8, 1832
[Brigham Young] September 8th, 1832, my wife died of consumption, leaving me two little girls, Elizabeth, born September 26th, 1825, in Port Byron, Cayuga County, New York, and Vilate, born June 1st, 1830, in Mendon, Monroe County, New York. In her expiring moments she clapped her hands and praised the Lord, and called upon Brother Kimball and all around to praise the Lord. After my wife's death I made my home at Brother Kimball's.

A few weeks after my baptism I was at Brother Kimball's house one morning, and while family prayer was being offered up, Brother Alpheus Gifford commenced speaking in tongues. Soon the Spirit came on me, and I spoke in tongues, and we thought only of the day of Pentecost, when the Apostles were clothed upon with cloven tongues of fire. (3)


-- After Sep 8, 1832
In September, 1832, Brother Heber C. Kimball took his horse and wagon, Brother Joseph Young and myself accompanying him and started for Kirtland to see the Prophet Joseph. We visited many friends on the way, and some branches of the Church. We exhorted them and prayed with them, and I spoke in tongues. Some pronounced it genuine and from the Lord, and others pronounced it of the devil. ...

In the evening a few of the brethren came in, and we conversed together upon the things of the kingdom. He called upon me to pray; in my prayer I spoke in tongues. As soon as we arose from our knees the brethren flocked around him, and asked his opinion concerning the gift of tongues that was upon me. He told them it was the pure Adamic language. Some said to him they expected he would condemn the gift Brother Brigham had, but he said, "No, it is of God, and the time will come when Brother Brigham Young will preside over this Church. The latter part of this conversation was in my absence. ..." [a later reconstruction from other sources] (3)

Endnotes:
1 - Tidd, N. R., "Mormon Chronology"
2 - Whitney, Helen Mar, Jeni Broberg Holzapfel, and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, A Woman's View: Helen Mar Whitney's Reminiscences of Early Church History, Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1997
3 - Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801-1844, ed. Elden Jay Watson (Salt Lake City: Smith Secretarial Service, 1968).

LDS History Chronology: Speaking in Tongues

Mormon History Timeline: the gift of Tongues
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/