The history of Z.C.M.I, Aug 6, 1891

-- Aug 6, 1891
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] Att[orne]ys Dickson and Richards presented a lot of questions that would no doubt have to be answered in the church property cases. I feel like letting the property go rather than try to defend it under the circumstances, but this is no doubt a wrong feeling. My Wife Lucy was blessed by the brethren today. I wrote to Gusta that we would have to give up the trip to London . . . This afternoon I went with Ex. Gov. West and F. S. Richards to visit a number of persons soliciting funds for the Democratic Party. I had a chat with John H[enr]y Smith and he said that he was willing that all of the stock (in insurance and ZCMI he held be sold and invested in Sugar Co.). (1)

-- Aug 17, 1891
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 17 I rode to the farm & to the Gardo. 20 Miles. I found a plenty of Business at the Office. I met with several Parties Among the Number Ward E Pack. I met with Z.C.M.I. at 2 oclok. (2)

-- Aug 26, 1891
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 26 I signed 15 Recommends. I received 10 Letters. I met with the savings Bank Board.

Brother Charles Brown was born in Germany in 1856. He died at 4 AM. to day At Mount Sania Hospital Aged 35 years. He left 5 Children. He has been Associated with ZCMI for [ ] years. He has been Associated with Asahel H Woodruff 16 years. All now feel his loss. {Charles Brown Born 1856 Germany Died Aug 26 1891 Aged 35 years} (2)

-- Sep 15, 1891
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 15 I signed 30 Recommends. I received 15 Letters. I wrote to David P. Woodruff. We Met with the ZCMI Board. We Met with Col Trumbo & several Gentlemen. (2)

-- Monday, Nov 16, 1891
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met at the Gardo house and had the reports of the Secretary read for the month of October. The Directors of the Groesbeck Co. met in the evening and talked over the situation. (3)

Footnotes:
1 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant,
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
3 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/