The history of Z.C.M.I, Nov 15, 1895

-- Nov 15, 1895
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 15 In Company with G. Q. Cannon & Abram I went through The Telephone in Salt Lake City. I talked over 100 Miles. I met with ZCMI Board. (1)

-- Dec 16, 1895
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 16 We Met with Brother Penrose & talked to him about going into the Historians office to work in Compilation of the History which has been lying Still without Compilation for many years. I met with the board of Z.C.M.I. I met with Br Reed Smoot on Account of a Case Repeated from the H.C. by the name of Charles Monk And with Brother Preston about Debts Due on the B Y Academy of Provo. (1)

-- During 1895
Before his election to the Senate, Reed Smoot engaged in a number of business enterprises, including banking, mining, livestock raising, and the manufacture of woolen goods. He was president of both Provo Commercial & Savings Bank and the Smoot Investment Company. He also served as a director of ZCMI and of the Deseret Savings Bank in Salt Lake City. Smoot was active in the Mormon church and was called to the presidency of the Utah Stake (Provo) in 1895. (2)

-- Wednesday, Apr 15, 1896
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met at noon. The reports for March were read. The business seems to be doing nicely. (3)

-- Tuesday, May 5, 1896
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I got from James Jack $75.00, $50 cash and $25 in Z.C.M.I. orders. I gave to each of my wives $20.00. I paid Wells Fargo and Co. $157.50 interest. It rained most all day. (3)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
2 - Utah History Encyclopedia: Reed Smoot, http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/s/SMOOT%2CREED.html
3 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/