The history of Z.C.M.I, Jul 5, 1893

-- Jul 5, 1893
[Francis M. Lyman] Met with Board of ZCMI. We consented to negotiate 100,000 of our notes for Bank Certificates of deposit, the money to be used to assists the church. It was very grinding upon the brethren to do this but it seemed necessary to save the Church. Before now it has been necessary for the church by its trustee in trust to come to the rescue of ZCMI and now it is but decent generosity for ZCMI to come to the assistance of the church. (1)

-- Wednesday, Jul 5, 1893
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of the Coop. W. & M. Co., Home F. I. Co. and Z.C.M.I. met today to talk over the financial situation. The Home Fire declaired their usual dividend. I called at the Deseret Bank and to see about the call of my note for seven thousand dollars. H. S. Young told me to do the best I could. Wm. Smith brought in our two cows. (2)

-- Tuesday, Aug 15, 1893
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met at 12 noon and heard the monthly reports and passed upon several items of Interest. Bro. J. H. Barnes voted against approving the $5,000.00 excess of notes that Bro. H. J. Grant had just put out in New York. The Home Fire Directors met and refused to loan some of their securities. (2)

-- Friday, Aug 25, 1893
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I was busy all day trying to fix up affairs. I got an order from the Groesbeck Co. on Kohn for $35.00 and I got myself and Chase a suit of clothes.

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met and heard reports of the business. It is very dark indeed. (2)

-- Oct 5, 1893
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 5 I went to the Office. Met with Prest Cannon. Went to the Temple. Partook of the Sacrament. Had a good time. Returned to the office. Met the Board of Savings Bank untill 4 oclok. We then Met with the board of ZCMI. (3)

Footnotes:
1 - Excerpts of Apostle Francis M. Lyman Diaries
2 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
3 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/