The history of Z.C.M.I, Feb 17, 1898

-- Feb 17, 1898
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] Thur Feb 17 At the office. I attended meeting at the Temple, also a meeting of the Directors of ZCMI at 2 p.m. at which the sale of the Provo Coop Institution to Jesse Knight was ratified. (1)

-- Tuesday, Mar 29, 1898
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I found all well at home.

At 10 a.m. Lorenzo Snow, Franklin D. Richards, Brigham Young, Francis M. Lyman, Myself, Geo. Teasdale, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor, Marriner W. Merrill, Matthias F. Cowley, and Abraham O. Woodruff met in council at the Temple.

We held two meetings during the day and Lorenzo Snow, Abraham O. Woodruff, Matthias F. Cowley, Marriner W. Merrill, Heber J. Grant, John W. Taylor and George Teasdale [spoke]. I spoke a few moments. Presidents Geo. Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith joined us and the condition of the Loan and Trust bank was talked over. It was voted to do all we could to save it from failure.

The Superintendent and Executive committee of Z.C.M.I. and Wm. Williams and Myself and O. H. Pettit of the Coop. F. Company met and agreed the Z.C.M.I. should pay $200.00 towards the wall in the Young building just south of Z.C.M.I. and We to arrange for light to be admitted to the Z.C.M.I. office.

I had a short visit with Mr. Mons Petersen and talked over his business matters and what he could do to redeem his farm at Moab. (2)

-- Apr 5, 1898
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] Tuesday April 5th At the office. Feeling well. Was quite busy in the Office, and attended a Stockholders meeting of ZCMI at 12 M. and presided. My report as President was read and accepted, and the election of officers was held. At 2 pm I met with Bros Cannon & Smith, with the Trustees of our Deseret Canal Company & came to a better understanding of matters therein. Concluded that more money must be raised to complete the dam &c. I continued in meetings until 5 pm & went home. (1)

-- Tuesday, Apr 5, 1898
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

All of the Presidency and some of the Apostles and presiding Bishopric met at the Presidents' office and talked over the Canadian land and water matter.

At a meeting of the Stockholders of Z.C.M.I. the annual statement was read and all of the old board of Directors was reelected.

At 3 p.m. the brethren who had met on Canadian land and water matters met again and modified a proposition made by Mr. Gault.

A vote was made or taken that a number of the item[s] be changed or we decline to accept their offers.

I was at the Groesbeck office a short time.

[General conference held April 6-10.] (2)

-- Thursday, Apr 14, 1898
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The day is superb. I drove to Beck's hot springs and had a bath.

The Directors of the Coop. W. & M. Co. met at 3 p.m. and heard monthly reports. I drew dividend from Z.C.M.I. $360.00. I paid interest at Deseret Savings bank $227.32, Tithing $30.00. I paid Cutler Bros. on account $30.00. I bot seven apple trees. I paid shoemaker bill $2.70. I took a drive out to the Park. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
2 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/