The history of Z.C.M.I, Thursday, Oct 5, 1893

-- Thursday, Oct 5, 1893
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

This morning L. Snow, F. D. Richards, Brigham Young, Moses Thatcher, F. M. Lyman, H. J. Grant, J. W. Taylor, M. W. Merrill, A. H. Cannon and I met and Bros. Cannon, Grant, Richards and L. Snow spoke. He [Snow] said the Lord revealed to him that as man is God once was and that [as] God is man will be.

At 1 p.m. Presidents W. Woodruff, G. Q. Cannon, and Jos. F. Smith joined us and we partook of the sacrament. Prest. G. Q. C. just returned from California. He predicted that we would pull through our financial troubles all right. The stockholders of Z.C.M.I. met and I was elected a Director for the ensuing year.

The Directors of the Groesbeck Co. met and agreed to accept Mr. Goldberg's offer of a loan at 10 percent for a year for $65,000. (1)

-- Wednesday, Nov 15, 1893
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

I got second Endowments today for my Brother George. I met with the Directors of Z.C.M.I. and the Grant Coop. Co. James Jack put into my hands $50.00.

[Went to Manassa for conference and visit, November 17-22.] (1)

-- Nov 17, 1893
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 17 I spent the day in the Office. Brother Webber & Row Called upon us & informed us that Br Row had resigned his position in the Z.C.M.I & we made an Appointment to meet the board of ZCMI on Monday the 20. (2)

-- Nov 28, 1893
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] This morning had a long chat with Moses Thatcher and he regrets the action of the Directors of ZCMI in dropping him as a member of the Executive Committee. He feels that he should have been consulted. I regret very much indeed to have Moses Feel as he does as I am sure there is nothing but the best of feelings for him with all of the Board and the only reason given for making a change was on account of his poor health. I wish that I had thought to have asked to defer the matter until he were present. He tells me that it is his intention to sell his stock and retire from the Board . . . (3)

-- Jan 15, 1894
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] Jan 15 1894 We Met at the office in the morning several of the Twelve and with the board of ZCMI at 11 <o'clock>. We voted to give to the Poor $150 in addition to the $125 given before. We also voted to omit Declairing a Dividend for the next 6 month.

We had a Party of young People at our House in the Evening. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
3 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant,

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/