The history of Z.C.M.I, Friday, Apr 16, 1897

-- Friday, Apr 16, 1897
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met and Elected Heber J. Grant, Geo. Romney and John R. Barnes Executive Committee and Thos. G. Webber, Manager.

My son Geo. A. is quite poorly. I am building fence at Josephine's. (1)

-- Apr 20, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] April 20th I slept some over 4 hours after midnight till 7.40 am. At 8 a.m. I got up and signed 75 Z.C.M.I certificates and 60 Liverpool office draft making 100 of each. Ate my breakfast. Pres Geo Q Cannon called & staid a short time. Bro Nuttall Shaved me, & I washed & dressed myelf. I cut the setts (1/2 bushel each) of the "Uncle Sam" and "Arma" Potatoes for planting. At 3.30 pm. my daughter Alice took some medicine that Dr Shipp prescribed for her, without water and it burned her mouth and throat being a strong acid. Gave her some strong coffee and she felt better but her mouth & throat pained her for some time. Asahel & wife & miss Winter called and the evening was spent in conversation, singing &c. I slept some during the afternoon and evening. (2)

-- Apr 23, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] April 23rd I slept 5 hours from midnight to 8 am. I dictated a letter to my wife Sarah at Provo. Bro Nuttall gave me a bath, dressed and left for the office at 9.50. After my lunch I went to ZCMI & weighed 184 lbs showing a loss in my weight of 9 lbs. I returned home at 2.20. Bro Andrew Smith called & I had a chat with him. Did not feel much fatigued by my visit to the office. Bro Nuttall & sister Woodruff went to the Theatre tonight. I slept much of the evening. (2)

-- May 6, 1897
[Apostle Heber J. Grant Diary] Arranged for the Utah Sugar Company to loan the Church $50 to remit to HB Claflin & company New York, when the next note of Cannon and Grant Co. shall fall due. Arranged with ZCMI to prepare the sugar bills to cover this amount. Also made similar arrangements for an additional five thousand dollars for the same party to cover the second not which will fall due during my absence at Vernal. (3)

-- Jun 1, 1897
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] Tuesday June 1st 1897 After midnight was somewhat wakeful but had enough sleep. After breakfast at 8.15 I took a walk. Then sat down and signed 40 drafts in the Liverpool office book. Laid down & slept 2 hours. Then drove to the office at 11.25 assisted by Elder L. John Nuttall. I made up my money & Tithing orders for my wives & hired man George, & mailed that for Sarah at Provo. I mislaid $50 in U.S. currency. Sisters Susa Y Gates & Zina Y. Card came in requesting me to attend the B Young family gathering in the Lion House, but I excused myself. I went to ZCMI and weighed 181 lbs. On my way home I called at Claras and at Susan Scholes. I walked out and took my supper at 7.30 my family gathered in my room & we Spent an hour very agreeably in conversation. My mind was quite clear. I was mouth in our family prayers. Dr Snow ordered that my urine be measured. Commenced this evening. After going to bed I was rather restless. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993
3 - Diary Excerpts of Heber J. Grant,

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/