The history of Z.C.M.I, Monday Sep 30, 1895

-- Monday Sep 30, 1895
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

Geo. Q. Cannon, Jos. F. Smith, Moses Thatcher, Heber J. Grant, Henry Dinwoodey, George Romney, John R. Barnes, John R. Winder, T. G. Weber, A. W. Carlson, F. D. Richards, L. John Nuttall, F. S. Richards as Attorney and myself met at president W. Woodruffs office and took steps to reincorporate Z.C.M.I. for fifty years.

Moses Thatcher presided. He is in most delicate health. (1)

-- Wednesday, Oct 2, 1895
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

We organized the Z.C.M.I. board for the incorporation. At 2 p.m. the following members of the Council of the Apostles met in the Temple: Lorenzo Snow, F. D. Richards, Brigham Young, Moses Thatcher, Francis M. Lyman, John Henry Smith, George Teasdale, Marriner W. Merrill, Heber J. Grant and Abraham H. Cannon.

Bros. G. Teasdale, H. J. Grant, and M. W. Merrill spoke to us upon the matters of their labors and Bro. Merrill gave us an account of dreams and visions given to him, also a marvelous escape from death being rescued by an unseen hand when a large log had rolled upon him and he was unable to help himself. He lost himself and when he came to, his wagon was loaded and he was on it riding home and fully one mile from where the accident had occured. John W. Taylor joined us today. (1)

-- Oct 15, 1895
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 15 I met with Judge Patten on Money matters. I met with ZCMI Board & we voted in Abram H Cannon as a Member of the Board. It was warm pleasant weather. (2)

-- Tuesday, Oct 15, 1895
[Apostle John Henry Smith Diary] Salt Lake City

The Directors of Z.C.M.I. met today and talked over the business. It was decided to let H. P. Richards, George Bourne, T. V. Williams, and H. W. Nesbit go as their services are no longer needed. (1)

-- Nov 12, 1895
[President Wilford Woodruff Journal] 12 I spent the Day in the Office. Joseph E Olisard Chicago Called upon me Recommended by Joseph S Woodruff. I signed several Notes for Money on the Ogden Power Company in Ogden. I met with My Councillors & John M Cannon upon the subjet of Electing President G. Q. Cannon to Congress. We got 2 letters from Langford & Hugh Cannon not favorable. I spent most of the Day in signing the Stock Book of Z.C.M.I. I Met with Senator Dubois who talked with us about our political Affairs. I Attended a party at Asahels House in the Evening with the old folks. (2)

Footnotes:
1 - Jean Bickmore White (editor), Church, State, and Politics: The Diaries of John Henry Smith, Signature Books in association with Smith Research Associates, Salt Lake City, 1990
2 - Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993

LDS History Chronology: Z.C.M.I

Mormon Timeline: Z.C.M.I
http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/